Chaotic's Progress Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 05:35 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I took these pics yesterday after somewhat bending the hood back to place and moving the broken bumper around. Looks good for now til I got the parts to fix it properly. Enjoy!

Name:  908e5577.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  217.1 KB
Name:  2b65dba6.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  203.4 KB

Old 05-05-2012, 05:37 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

wow you can barely tell

Old 05-05-2012, 05:40 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Also for those who are wondering whether or not I'm going to keep the 3.4 or buy a z28, here's the answer:

My friend who helped do the header job (RumbleZ) said we could easily knock out a LT1 swap in a day let along a weekend. I'm on the hunt for a donor car right now. Hopefully I'll find something soon. I don't have the heart to part with the car I've grown to know every part of and what's been replaced on it. I'll get the both of best worlds keeping MY car and swapping in a LT1 and 6-speed. I found a M6 1997 trans am for $900 but it has no motor. If its still there when I get the money I'm going to buy it and an LT1 motor and start tearing the cars down for the swap. We'll see what happens!

Last edited by Chaotic94; 05-05-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:41 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
wow you can barely tell
Because I'm just good like that yo!

Old 05-05-2012, 06:04 PM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Chaotic94
Also for those who are wondering whether or not I'm going to keep the 3.4 or buy a z28, here's the answer:

My friend who helped do the header job (RumbleZ) said we could easily knock out a LT1 swap in a day let along a weekend. I'm on the hunt for a donor car right now. Hopefully I'll find something soon. I don't have the heart to part with the car I've grown to know every part of and what's been replaced on it. I'll get the both of best worlds keeping MY car and swapping in a LT1 and 6-speed. I found a M6 1997 trans am for $900 but it has no motor. If its still there when I get the money I'm going to buy it and an LT1 motor and start tearing the cars down for the swap. We'll see what happens!
Not to rain on your parade but it takes more than a day with 2 people to swap the car. And unless you find a car the same year as yours then you will be stuck swapping a lot more than you think.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:08 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Gee, that would be a shame if someone (who has insurance) were to hit you in the right front! Time to switch on your offensive driving skills!!

Old 05-05-2012, 06:11 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Socom: he says he's done the swap before and that it happened in a day with the car on the road the next morning. He's owned numerous f-bodies and knows his stuff.. He knows what has to be swapped and what can be re used. I trust him. We'll see how long it takes. Even if it takes a week, it'll be worth it to me.

Last edited by Chaotic94; 05-05-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:28 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Technical User

Right on man! thats awesome, Im excited for ya. Im still waiting to get a trailer to go get my camaro.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:12 PM

Definitely a long day but it can be done. Unless there's an existing issue with the new engine we don't know about before it's in there, there's no reason it won't be running by the next day if not the same day. I can drop engine/trans/front susp out the bottom in a few hours by myself (no lift) in tight quarters. With a helper that has a clue and takes good direction working at a decent pace it'll go even quicker. Getting the new engine in the bay and crossmembers bolted up usually takes 20-30 minutes once it's ready to roll back under there. Couple more hours hooking stuff back up and going over everything and it should be ready for fuel, spark, Vroom.

Any wiring differences as a result of the different years and the changes that were made are not a problem - well aware of it and have all the necessary diagrams to compare so we'll know what needs to be done beforehand for whatever year engine & harness we end up with. We won't be swapping over the whole chassis electrical system so that part will go pretty quick too.

This car is a little ahead as it already has the V8 rear and driveshaft in it, so some time saved there. It also has the fuel access door so pump swap will be easy since we won't have to drop the tank. If there is no access door in donor car we'll give it one. no big deal. Really shouldn't be too bad at all. Looking forward to it.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Chaotic94
I took these pics yesterday after somewhat bending the hood back to place and moving the broken bumper around. Looks good for now til I got the parts to fix it properly. Enjoy!

That did turn out pretty good. I'd probably just swap that light bar in there and call it a day for a while until you can get yourself a glass hood in whatever flavor you decide to go with.

Quick Reply: Chaotic's Progress Thread