Chaotic's Progress Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 09:19 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
TDs are a waste on a 3.4L or 3.8L -- you won't be making the power needed to require them.

SS parts on a 3.4L?

You don't have struts, but a shock tower brace is worthwhile. Forget lowering springs without appropriate shocks -- you will just cause your shocks to wear out faster, and they won't damp lowered springs properly.
As long as the car isn't improperly branded as an SS I don't see what the problem is using the parts. Its an aesthetic preference. Not everyone has the money to go buy an SS.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:27 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
TDs are a waste on a 3.4L or 3.8L -- you won't be making the power needed to require them.

SS parts on a 3.4L?

You don't have struts, but a shock tower brace is worthwhile. Forget lowering springs without appropriate shocks -- you will just cause your shocks to wear out faster, and they won't damp lowered springs properly.
Nothing positive in that entire post... TD's are simply going to be for sound purposes. They get rid of the high end rasp that these sixxers love to create. I plan on getting new shocks with the lowering springs. I know they won't last without new shocks. As far as the SS parts, I only want them for styling purposes. It's not like I'm throwing SS badges on it. I said "strut" tower brace because that's how I've always heard it referred to as.

On another note, I just got a raise and I have financial aid coming along with my tax return in a few months to get me a decent head start. This will be a very gradual build. I'll buy a donor motor to build gradually and then swap them when I have EVERYTHING ready.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:52 PM
3rd Gear Member

Saweet. Gonna be one hell of a 3.4L

Old 09-19-2011, 11:04 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

With everything I'm looking at, I should be able to outrun stock lt1's. Full valvetrain job, cam, full bolt ons, full exhaust, gearing, and a 75 shot of spray should lead me to victory over all these self condulgant wieners in their v8's. I'm getting excited!!! =D

Old 09-19-2011, 11:10 PM
Overdrive Member
Question

So get a Borla cat-back -- problem solved... Instead of TDs, a Fays2 Watts Link would be a better investment for a daily driver, IMHO.

An "SS" is a "Z28 SS", technically, never a V6, so it is a total misfit -- the styling is supposed to signify the upgraded top-of-the-line vehicle.

Wow, are taxpayers paying for your college financial aid so you can buy car parts, or is it private?

Originally Posted by Chaotic94
Nothing positive in that entire post... TD's are simply going to be for sound purposes. They get rid of the high end rasp that these sixxers love to create. I plan on getting new shocks with the lowering springs. I know they won't last without new shocks. As far as the SS parts, I only want them for styling purposes. It's not like I'm throwing SS badges on it. I said "strut" tower brace because that's how I've always heard it referred to as.

On another note, I just got a raise and I have financial aid coming along with my tax return in a few months to get me a decent head start. This will be a very gradual build. I'll buy a donor motor to build gradually and then swap them when I have EVERYTHING ready.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:15 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Haters gonna hate. Guess I give up on convincing you of my project. And I'll do whatever I damn well please with left over financial aid that IM PAYING BACK!!! Student loans. Yeah I'm sure I'll suffer for it later. Oh well.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:17 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Darling reject has the ss style hood on her car and I've never heard a peep out of you over it. I already have LE wheels. Are you gonna start hating on that too because my car isn't a LE car????

Old 09-19-2011, 11:20 PM
I Like to Party

Haha. I'm using some of my financial aid refund towards my car. There's a specific and broad government speculation on financial aid. The taxpayer relief act was passed recently protecting taxpayers from paying for federal student aid.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:22 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Sorry If I'm coming across as harsh but I don't like any of the other hood options for early 4th gens. Nor do I like any of the aftermarket wings. So I'm investing in SS parts. They look good and are easy to come by. I see it done every day. And I've heard borla cat backs on these cars and they sound like garbage! The ONLY way to make a v6 sound decent is with true duals, which I can fabricate (LEGALLY) to pass inspection for about $600.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:23 PM
I Like to Party

I support your thread

Quick Reply: Chaotic's Progress Thread