94 B4C Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 02:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 94 B4C Build

Hey everyone,
I'm new to Camaros and wanted to start a build thread to track progress and allow input from the knowledgeable users here to get me on the right track.

The Basics:
B4C: LT1 and 6 speed
84,000 original miles
Lowered 2 inches with Eibach springs
No cat or real exhaust and no o2 sensors
Hurst shifter
Maroon in color with a black stripe

The Bad:
-SES light on

- Ugly color

-Low coolant light on

-Gas gauge is off by about a 1/4 tank

-Ride is pretty rough

-Ugly C4 Vette wheels need to go

-Needs a new bumper and driver front fender...considering a LS front end/headlight swap

-Weak key fob response

-Needs exhaust

-A/C is charged and blows cold but only when the AC compressor relay is pulled and you jump the terminals; but blows strong and cold when that's done; haven't checked the in car fuses yet just the fuse block at the motor

-ABS INOP light on; but brakes work fine and have a 3rd brake light

-Passenger window trim on the outside pops out

-Little interior parts: Blown speakers, center console needs pin for hinge, glovebox doesn't always latch

All the issues listed above taken into consideration I'm happy with the car. It drives fine and doesn't seem to have any issues. I have taken it on some trips and it did just fine and still wasn't too much of a gas hog.

Being stationed in 29 Palms, CA and recently having a baby my first priority is AC followed by exhaust and SES light. This isn't my DD, more of a weekend car, but I would like to be able to drive it comfortably when I need/want to. I will add more as it comes to me....Pictures attached.
Name:  20130722_114902.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  97.8 KB
Name:  20130722_114919.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  97.9 KB
Name:  20130722_114929.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  81.0 KB
Name:  20130722_115114.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  61.8 KB
Name:  20130722_115225.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  117.5 KB
Name:  20130722_115005.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  110.3 KB
Name:  20130722_115018.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  98.6 KB

Old 07-23-2013, 01:48 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by akdiesel
The Bad:
-SES light on

-Low coolant light on

-Gas gauge is off by about a 1/4 tank

-Ugly C4 Vette wheels need to go

-Needs a new bumper and driver front fender...considering a LS front end/headlight swap

-ABS INOP light on; but brakes work fine and have a 3rd brake light
1. SES light is on most likely because of no O2 sensors. You usually need those on a computer controlled car to get it run right.

2. Low coolant light. Check coolant (given).

3. Gas gauge being off. Pretty normal for our cars. The shape of the tank is wedge like. Would think GM would have set up the float so it didn't cause this, but yeah. Mine usually reads about 1/4 off as well.

4. Agreed. Those do not look good on it.

5. First time I've ever heard someone wanting to put the catfish front end on, but your car. Just remember you gotta change the hood and I think the fenders as well.

6. Wheel sensor is the likely cause for the ABS. Front two require the whole hub and bearing assembly to be replaced. Rear sensor is just a sensor, but isn't cheap last I checked.

All in all looks like a sweet Camaro. Also, I think it was either repainted or or the year is off. The reason I say that is because 95 was the first year the Camaros had the option to have the mirrors and sail panels painted the same color as the body. 93 and 94 were standard black. Then again, maybe someone just painted the sail panel and mirrors body color. Oh, Welcome to the forums!

Old 07-23-2013, 06:07 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for all the info. I have the SPID with color code if that helps at all. Although I believe it was good repaint if so because even the jambs and hinges are painted. Here's the SPID:

Name:  20130601_144403.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  40.9 KB

Last edited by akdiesel; 07-23-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:42 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Got my ALDL cable ordered today. I'm hoping there are some stored HVAC codes and that is why the AC isn't working via the **** on the dash. The compressor spins freely and when the AC Compressor clutch relay is jumped in the fuse block in the engine bay the AC pumps nice cold air. The HVAC fuse in the car checks out fine as well....any other ideas or things to check?

Also wanting to get into the exhaust...if I can find a reasonable set of headers I will start there otherwise I will start at the manifolds back...no smog or anything like that for the car so that's not an issue. Any advice on companies/parts to start with?

Sorry for the newb questions I'm coming from having diesels and modding them for the past 5 years or so. It's a whole other ball game here...

Old 07-23-2013, 08:54 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ALDL Cable for a 94? You know of a way to pull advanced body codes for a 94 and does not include a pricey scan tool? As a general rule the ALDL cables only work on OBDII (96+) and you can not see CAN codes until 2000. Even that is very limited. Pulling engine codes from a 94 or 95 can be problematic. In fact there is a sticking on this sight that list the scanners that work with the 94-95's and it is not a long list.

Careful jumping the AC relay, Most of the system that cause the AC system not to run do so to protect the compressor. I would never force a compressor to run until I was sure you have enough pressure and not too much pressure. You have a high low switches that the power passes though. They are the main ones but I think there are a few more that make sure things don't over heat.

You got the GM manual?

Last edited by Gorn; 07-23-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:06 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Haven't picked up the GM manual yet..need to. As far as I know this cable works ALDL OBD1 OBD cable OBDI OBD2 engine codes at least I was told it does...if not I'll be returning it. The scan software will be this Scan9495: Free OBD1 scan app for 94/95 LT1 - CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

I will be sure and check those high and low switches to see if the fault is with one of them. Thanks for the help!

Old 07-23-2013, 09:17 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You want to check the pressure first if it is ok then figure out which is bad. If your pressure is low you can force the compressor to run and it can get cold but the flow is so low it can not carry enough oil for the compressor so the system does not let the system cycle. You could just be a little low on R134

You can download the manual PDF in the Manual section on this form.

That is a very new thread you linked. I hope it works out, Keep us posted. Too bad I have a 93 and a 96, I have the cable for the 96 and can not see ABS or Air bag codes even with a copy of the Advanced Scan XL software.

Last edited by Gorn; 07-23-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:21 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I will have to look into how to test the switches. There is R134 in there but I need to double check pressures. I will keep you guys up to date on the cable and the scanning software. It's strictly for scanning as I am trying to go in baby steps with this car and do things right the first time. I've had some fun vehicles and a couple of fast ones and learned from my own mistakes and want to do it right.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:41 PM
4th Gear Member

Well the VIN shows that it's a '94, so someone repainted and did a real nice job, except I think the bezels by the headlights are supposed to be body color as well. Still looks nice.

Headers, if you have the money go with Kooks. Probably some of the nicest one's out there. If you're on a budget, Pacesetter is a nice brand as well.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:06 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
Well the VIN shows that it's a '94, so someone repainted and did a real nice job, except I think the bezels by the headlights are supposed to be body color as well. Still looks nice.

Headers, if you have the money go with Kooks. Probably some of the nicest one's out there. If you're on a budget, Pacesetter is a nice brand as well.
Do you know what the color code is? It may sound stupid but I couldn't figure out how to decode that part haha. Any good vendors or places to look at purchasing from?

Quick Reply: 94 B4C Build