2001 Z28 6.0 LQ4 project

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 03:48 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default 2001 Z28 6.0 LQ4 project

Some of you might know me from the second gen section with my 74 Z28 Type LT. I recently bought a 2001 Z28 with a seized engine for super cheap. Sourced a local LQ4 shortblock, LS6 243 GTO heads, using the LS6 intake off the current car. Went through the assembly and checked it out and it looks good. I was told the engine had around 30k on it when removed and it looked nice and clean with inspection and tear down. Reassembled with Cometic gaskets to give me a decent quench and put me around 10.25:1 SCR.

Day I brought it home:

Engine coming out:

Transmission out:

Shortblock teardown and inspection. Checking for piston height to setup quench and gasket selection.

LQ4 on the stand, LS1 in the foreground waiting to be tore down and see what seized the engine (more on that in a moment).

K member rolled out from under the car

Heads going on the LQ4 block with ARP head bolts.

Engine assembled and back on the k member

The reason the LS1 was seized:

Apparently the LS1 overheated a number of times (oil baked to anything and everything) and weakened the connecting rods. One bent and bound itself against a blade on the crankshaft. No damage to the engine or crankshaft upon visual inspection. So I will probably rebuild and sell the LS1 or throw it in my 74 Camaro since I already have an LS1 T56 transmission in it.

I hope to mate up the transmission and engine tonight and roll it under the car. Hopefully have it up and running in the next couple of days or during the weekend.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:17 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Subscribed, Looking forward to the rest of the build.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:39 PM
3rd Gear Member

I too am very interested in this build. When my LS1 dies, I'm definitely considering swapping in a LQ4/LQ9 motor.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Nice, you should be able to hammer that rod straight!
We have a fairly new "Projects" section down under the Recreational heading. You want it moved, say so. Prolly less apt to get buried in there.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:49 PM
3rd Gear Member

Should put in a camshaft and a stall while you've got the motor and tranny just sitting there.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:13 PM
3rd Gear Member

Hey Chuck, if you want to move it then go ahead. I saw that section shortly after the post.

I would love to do a cam and stall but I am budget oriented right now. Just moved 500+ miles and still have my house on raleigh and a wife that was out of work for two months. Funds are a little tight and I am trying to do this all without raising the ire of my wife and still pay all the bills in a timely manner.

Not sure if anything is going to happen tonight. Just got home and the electricity is out. Had to use my phone for this post but oh well. Enjoying the afternoon with my wife under the back porch with the rain.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:35 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Welcome back Kyphur! I was somewhat surprised to see you had purchased the new Camaro when I spotted this post. Glad to see you're back with another Camaro project!

Old 08-09-2011, 09:03 AM
3rd Gear Member

Glad to be back Val. Still trying to find time to be on the internet. Seems like I am too busy with other projects most of the time. Busy is good though.

I got the transmission hooked up to the engine and rolled the k member back and up under the car. Hooked up the transmission lines and ran them. Put the shocks back into their position and ready to lower the car over the engine and transmission. I still need to put the exhaust manifolds on and the spark plugs in and I should be ready. Trying to think of everything that really needs to be done before I lower the car back into place.

Last edited by kyphur; 08-09-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:32 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I just can't get my mind around having to pull the running gear out to pull the engine. Looks like it's not too tuff, but just weird for an old school guy to digest.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:41 AM
3rd Gear Member

Some progress pics, nothing major. That's me in the pics.

Engine back on k-member.

Looking at the progress right before attaching the transmission.

Transmission hooked up with transmission cooler lines routed and plugged into the side of the transmission.

Hopefully will be wrapping everything up this weekend. I have a 3 day weekend this weekend and will hopefully be putting it to good use. I hope to also be going on a roadtrip this weekend and picking up a bolt on cowled hood for it also.

Quick Reply: 2001 Z28 6.0 LQ4 project