How to: 4th gen gauge install

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 03:24 PM
Overdrive Member
Default How to: 4th gen gauge install

This writeup can be used for a few things: 1) 6ers wanting Z28 gauges; 2) Light replacement; 3) White face install (if they ever get shipped...); 4) A little customization. Not sure how to make pics go with steps, so pics will be included at bottom with step names as the title.

1) First remove the trim around the gauges. (two 7mm screws at top)
2) Remove bolts holding gauge bezel. (four 7mm screws. Two at the top on each side, and two at the bottom on each side)
3) Pull gauges out (all that holds it in after the four screws is a plug at the back. pic will show what I am talkin bout)
4) Once gauges are out, they can be separated in pieces (held together by clips and a couple screws. Pics will show different pieces, and how gauges/needles connect to gauge "motherboard")

Old 11-30-2008, 03:47 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: 4th Gen Gauge Write up/ How to

Once you have done this you may remove bulbs by pulling them out, or twisting out their holder from the back, see step 3 pic for reference. I went ahead and swapped all my bulbs out for LEDs. Bulbs are 194. I recommend putting part of gauges back in car to test lights. If you do this and bulbs don't light up, take them out and rotate them. Don't forget that some lights are for turn signals and brights. I thought I had a few bad bulbs, until I realized I was an idiot and didn't test signals and brights... Also while you have the gauges out, you can remove the red film on the odometer for a neat look (pics of disassembled at bottom). You just take the odometer out, and look on the back. There are four tabs that have to be twisted, and you will be able to access the red film. For those who are doing this forswapping to z28 gauges you will have to either remove a couple ofLEDs or just tape the back of the gauges like I did (pic at bottom). The lights areASR OFF (with all other warning lights) and SKIP SHIFT(to thelowerright of fuel gauge). I will add to this once I get my white face gauges. I recommend checking out some decals and gauge bezels (for those who don't have them) at http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...ath=235_86_162(decals) http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=1948(bezel). I picked up the 30th Anniversary decal for the gauges and the TA bezel.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:49 PM
Overdrive Member

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or just add to the post.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:50 PM
Ninja Administrator

upload them to photobucket, then you can post the links with [img ] tags around it. or there is a yellow button that looks like it has 2 mountains with a gray ball (probably the sun.... only who the hell colored it like that??!?) that will bring up an "insert image" dialogue box.

also, pic 5 shows the leds that backlight the gauges. are these colored? can the they be changed? or is there a plastic color filter that sits over them which determines the backlight color?

Old 11-30-2008, 03:54 PM
Ninja Administrator

does separating the peices have any negative side effects? some models have these peices sealed and you can get moisture inside when doing work like this

Old 11-30-2008, 03:56 PM
Ninja Administrator

I stickied it for you. didnt see ur other post till later. IMO, u should edit ur first post with any additional info to have a single fluid article. otherwise nice write up.
what I typically do with my writeups is to add info to the OP as people ask questions.
Thanks for the work. now go do one on the HID install! [8D]

Old 11-30-2008, 04:07 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

also, pic 5 shows the leds that backlight the gauges. are these colored? can the they be changed? or is there a plastic color filter that sits over them which determines the backlight color?
The little "clusters" of LEDs are the ones that replace the incandescent 194 bulbs. I bought white for the backlight, green for the signals, blue for the brights and light behind the odometer (i removed the red film). The actual gauges have blue on the back, that looks rather difficult to remove. This is why the gauges will still appear somewhat blue with white lights.They are installed just like any other bulb. The single LED you see is for SKIP SHIFT.

does separating the pieces have any negative side effects? some models have these pieces sealed and you can get moisture inside when doing work like this
When taking them apart, I saw no types of seals or anything of that nature. I know what you are talking about though. I have not experienced any side effects though. I have had them in for almost a year now.

Another thing I forgot to add... If going from 6 to Z gauges, tach will be reading 75% of what it should, and oil pressure gauge will be off (needle points the way it would on the 6, but the Z gauges are different numbers). ALL other gauges (based on my experience) will read just fine.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:15 PM
Ninja Administrator

are camaro lights normally blue? my lights are red, and it clashes with my pioneer head unit which is blue. I wasnt sure if I could just change the lights (hwich is what it looks like you did) or if i had to replace a film. so the only thing that has a film is the odometer? what does it look like without the film?

Old 11-30-2008, 05:35 PM
Overdrive Member

Camaro gauges are usually a real light green. I mean real light. That is from the yellowish hue of regular bulbs combined with the blue on the back of the gauges. The blue is in between the flimsy gauge face and a clear plastic back. As for the odometer, I haven't seen it just yet on mine. I took my Z gauges out in hopes that my white faces would get here soon. I have seen pics though, of the odometer with a blue led behind it, and it looked the same as before, just blue. One of the pics is of my gauges with whiteLEDs installed.One pic is of blue on the gauges, the pic of where I taped up the ASR light also shows a little of the blue on the gauges.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:41 PM
Ninja Administrator

crap.... im starting to fear that mine will stay red....

Quick Reply: How to: 4th gen gauge install