Camaro won't start......sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 10:09 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Camaro won't start......sometimes

Crap and double crap. I have a 2002 V6 Camaro. Starting about a year ago, maybe every 20 times I start the car, if I turn the key, it won't start. Keep turning the key off and on several times and it will finally start.

What I have done so far.....

I took the car to the dealer last July. He told me my VATS pickup in the key switch had a broken wire. The dealer replaced the key switch. Then, about October, won't crank again.

I measured my VATS key and got a Radio Shack resister. I soldered it in place of the VATS. To tell this is working, when first turning on the key switch, the word "security" should light, then go off about 3 seconds later. That works fine.

Then, again, no start....

I replaced the park/neutral switch. I made sure it was adjusted properly. Then, today, my wife emails and said, again, nothing would crack. After 4-5 tries, it cranked up.

What else can this be???????

Old 11-27-2013, 10:45 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Fyi, the key portion of the ignition is only a lock tumbler that mechanically works the ignition switch which is mounted on top of the steering column, closer to the firewall. The switch might be bad, or just loose and/or out of adjustment. The switch has slotted holes so you can slide it up or down to get it set just right.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:19 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Nice quick reply. Thanks Camaro 69. Anyway, are there any photos or diagrams available?? This could very well be the problem. It would be nice to see how these parts are all aligned.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes

On second thought, I don't think it is the mechanical linkage from the key switch to the actual starting switch that is the issue. Of the very few times this has happened to me, the lights go off, the heater blower stops, and maybe the radio stops. This tells me that the computer already knows that I am trying to start the car.

The only issue left is some interlock that I don't know about. Or, maybe the starting relay itself. I have removed the starting motor. It looks in good shape. It is possible it's the starting relay. Does any know here this relay is located??

I am a retired electrical engineer. When I designed programs, I used a lot of "checks". For example, if an event was called to happen, I would put in a program check to see if the action had occurred. An example is firing a solenoid on a machine and expecting a limit switch to be made in a very short time. This way, I could find slow acting solenoids.

If I had complete access to the car's computer, I am sure I could figure this out. However, I don't. I am limited to replacing or checking parts the old fashioned way.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:03 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I still wouldn't rule out the ignition switch. "Start" position (key all the way forward) activates the starter. When you let the key go, the switch is in the "run" position which then powers all the accessories. This is why you hear everything go off when trying to start the engine.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:23 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by jlbonnie2000
Nice quick reply. Thanks Camaro 69. Anyway, are there any photos or diagrams available?? This could very well be the problem. It would be nice to see how these parts are all aligned.
Switch #80, which is worked by the rod #76: http://shbox.com/1/steering_column_exploded.jpg

Old 11-27-2013, 02:06 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

my ingnition switch went bad and it would just quit or not do anything. the contacts in the switch were toasted. being the columm has been worked on already i would suspect that first, did you get it scanned for codes, might get lucky and have some clues stored there

Old 11-27-2013, 02:33 PM
2nd Gear member

are you sure the terminals/ starter wire are tight?

Old 11-27-2013, 03:48 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Me again. I feel the most sorry for my poor wife who is now frustrated and wants me to sell this car. I know how bad she can feel getting into a cold car and it won't crank.

I did check the fault codes......none
I have double checked the tightness of the starter wires. At least on the starter motor itself.

I am thinking I may have a hardware issues verses something in the computer such as an interlock I am missing. I bought a Chilton manual that covers the 06 V6 Camaro

As I look at the wiring, I see a relay called "Theft Deterent". The + voltage comes down thru the park/neutral switch to one end of the coil via the key switch. The other end gets a ground (-) from the PCM module thru a signal called "Pass-Key fuel enable".

I need to find where this relay is located.......Theft Deterent Relay (TDR)

Once this relay is energized, this tells me my next step. To energize the TDR relay, the "start" switch (probably #80 in the drawing supplied by a post above this), I should be able to follow some path.

The bad thing is this happens maybe just a couple of times a month. Or sometimes every other month.

I still would like just to swap out the TDR and Starter solenoid relays. Can someone tell me where they are located???

Old 11-27-2013, 06:38 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

for piece of mind take the battery cables off and wire brush the heck outa them, do the same to the batter terminals. not sure on the ls models but on mine there is a red plastic box on the passenger side fenderwell by the battery, this is a power junction box and can need cleaning at times. i would recomend you download the 99fb factory service manual here should be very close to the same as yours My Files