4th gen Replace stock dash lights with white LED's?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 09:45 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by DMateo
Anyone know how, or know of a guide for replacing the shifter lights?

I only know of one shifter light, but there may be another. To get to it, you remove the coin holder in the middle compartment. There will be two bolts/screws under it, so you will need to remove those. From there you should have just enough room to lift the shifter console and reach under to get the light. It is located near the "1" on the shift indicator. It is a size 74 or 73 (something small). The housing/socket has to be twisted out, to remove the bulb.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Turn Signal Bulbs

If when I do the gauges, I wanted to change the color of the Turn signals to say purple, would the LED work? or would i have to like sand off some coloring?
anyone know?

Last edited by Blasko; 05-07-2009 at 10:10 PM. Reason: I iz Doosn't speeeel to gud.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:14 AM
Overdrive Member

The turn signals have a green film on the actual gauge part. Changing the bulb would change the color, but not to what you desire. I will look at it when I wake up, and give you an idea of what you might could do.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Overdrive Member

I just looked at my spare set of gauges, and it appears that the green film on there actually goes through the whole gauge, not just the backside. This means if it were to be removed, you would be left with two arrow shaped holes. I'm sure you could do something with that, but I would get a spare set, in case you mess up.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes

This thread is great- good information. I plan on putting in LED's for the dash, map and domes, the glove box and possibly the plate lights. My only question is, will I just need to buy the bulbs? Meaning, do they just plug right in or is there other adapters to get? For the dash, I'm only going to swap the ones for the gauges- not the others like turn signal indicator etc..

Old 05-10-2009, 08:23 AM
Overdrive Member

Most places sell them ready for plug and play. I don't know where others get theirs, but I get mine from www.vleds.com and they work great.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:23 AM
April 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by mstephens20
another question.....what do u think about the headlight led or side marker led or brake light led any of those worth doin.....all my lights seem to be weak and dim sumtimes trying to make them brighter wondering if these could possible help
*For the front, you can change the actual turn signal bulb itself to an led. its a 3157 I think. They are made up of 12-21 or so smaller LED's on them depending which amount you want. BUT they are hard to see during the day and look best if you have clear turn signal installed. I have clear corners with a regular bulb that has a coating of chrome but lights up amber. Then the tiny bulb next to the turn signal I changed to a 194 amber LED (5-wedge)

*I put clear rear side markers and the bulbs are red 194 LEDs to

*The 3rd brake light takes 2 bulbs and I put red ones in there too! You just take remove the 2 screws and the whole housing pops out and the bulb base just twists right out, very easy. However, I custom made it so that the lense is now clear, I painted the inside of it chrome then over the entire light I put a black vinyl Z28 overlay. So at nite all you see is the Z28 lighted up in brilliant red. And when I feel like it I just change the bulbs to blue!

if you look at my pics on the April 2009 Ride of the month sticky, you will what I mean about the brake light

Last edited by Zoilus; 05-10-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:48 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks stanGT. One more question.....If I got red LED's for the dash, would it look like some ugly brown since there is that green crap in the gauges?

Old 05-10-2009, 02:04 PM
April 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by andkrs7
Thanks stanGT. One more question.....If I got red LED's for the dash, would it look like some ugly brown since there is that green crap in the gauges?
The turn signal arrows will look brown but the film over the numbers is very light, you wont notice it.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok cool thanks

Quick Reply: 4th gen Replace stock dash lights with white LED's?