4th gen Replace stock dash lights with white LED's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 12:00 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by mstephens20
hey stan i got a couple questions.

ive look at the write up and get goin over this thread but cant figure it out

i wanna change my gauges over to led on my 2000 and glove box, dome light,hvac controls,ect anything i dnt have to soder

i took the guages a part already and lookd at the bulbs but im havein trouble finding the same ones i lookd at those links posted above

there round plastic twist lock some of the ones at the top of this page look similar but im just not sure

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...7.3648&next=50

You can remove the bulbs from the twist lock thing in the stock housing. You can either twist them out, and then remove the bulbs (so you don't have to completely disassemble the cluster, or you can take the cluster completely apart and replace the bulbs. You don't need to buy new twist locks, if that is what you are asking.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:12 PM
1st Gear Member

yes thts what im talking about,see i thought tht i would just buy new led lights tht came in the black plastic twist lock things and just trade them out..

i tried to pull the existing bulbs out of the existing black plastic twist lock things but it wouldnt come out and i dnt wanna brake any so if so how do they come out...

ok so do i buy just the led bulb and change them out tht way or do they make an led with the black plastic twist lock things so i could just trade them out tht way??????

Old 03-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Overdrive Member

You can trade them out for that twist thing I suppose. I was able to just wiggle (with a little force) the lights out. I will check it out, when I get home, as I have a spare cluster.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:43 PM
1st Gear Member

thanks stan
if i can just replace the bulb itself then thats what i'll do
i just need to find the buld to replace it with would mine be the 194 led also???????

Old 03-19-2009, 07:55 PM
April 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

thanks stan
if i can just replace the bulb itself then thats what i'll do
i just need to find the buld to replace it with would mine be the 194 led also???????
Yes they are 194's. And if the bulb breaks and the base stays on the black thingy, just grab some small needle nose pliars and pull on the metal wires left behind till the bulb comes out. I changed my AC cluster bulbs to LED's and they would not come out, so I broke both and pulled out the base by the wires. And those bulbs are much smaller and the AC unit was still attached to the dash. So these 194 are bigger and you have the ability to move it around.... should be easy

Old 03-19-2009, 08:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok zoilus thanks for the help im look around and find some 194 led bulbs

Also can someone who has done this please post a picture of the 194 led bulbs used.
there are like 8 diffrent kind when i look and dnt wanna order the wrong size

Last edited by mstephens20; 03-19-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Overdrive Member

Yeah the smaller bulbs (size 74) are a pain. I had to do as Zoilus, and break them. If you have to resort to that, I would use pliers and safety glasses, or just turn your head away, as the glass will fly. They are located in the door panels (shine on your switches), A/C controls, and if you have an auto, one of them lights up the gear selector.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:49 PM
April 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Ok zoilus thanks for the help im look around and find some 194 led bulbs

Also can someone who has done this please post a picture of the 194 led bulbs used.
there are like 8 diffrent kind when i look and dnt wanna order the wrong size
Here is a link to the site I use. The bulbs you want are the WLED-x5 LED Wide Angle LED bulb They give out a full 360 degrees of light in all directions and are bright plus they avoid "hot spots". If you get the 6 bulb or more LEDs you run the risk of them not fitting. Just scroll down once you open the link...and go about 3/4 of the way down the page. They come in all colors and range from 3.00 - 3.75 a bulb and I think no matter how many you order...shipping is like $5-$6 for all of them. You will need 5 and order an extra one just incase 1 goes out or you break it during install.

http://superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/s...gi?product=CAR

Here is a pic of mine with the blue ones. However I got the 4 bulb which concentrates light more directly upward. It looks good but I converted to the 5 bulb wedge style and its better PLUS brighter. but no picks yet. Even this pic with the 4 bulb ones...doesnt do justice...it looks deeper and brighter blue than shown:

Last edited by Zoilus; 03-20-2009 at 11:51 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:21 AM
1st Gear Member

thanks for the help zoilus....much appericated
im gonna order sum tommrow or sunday
is there any other bulbs i can order while im getting the cluster bulbs so i can do the glove box light,auto shift light,hvac controls,dome light or anythig else

also those gauges look awsome cant wait to get mine done

another question.....what do u think about the headlight led or side marker led or brake light led any of those worth doin.....all my lights seem to be weak and dim sumtimes trying to make them brighter wondering if these could possible help

Old 03-21-2009, 12:31 PM
Overdrive Member

thanks for the help zoilus....much appericated
im gonna order sum tommrow or sunday
is there any other bulbs i can order while im getting the cluster bulbs so i can do the glove box light,auto shift light,hvac controls,dome light or anythig else

also those gauges look awsome cant wait to get mine done

another question.....what do u think about the headlight led or side marker led or brake light led any of those worth doin.....all my lights seem to be weak and dim sumtimes trying to make them brighter wondering if these could possible help

Are you talking about the bright light, turn signal, and brake lights on your gauges? If so, only the bright light and turn signals can be replaced. The brake light one is a soldered in there and is an LED. If you decide to do the bright light and turn signal lights, I suggest you get a blue led, and a couple green ones. While they would be this color even if the led's were white, it just makes the color much more vivid.

Quick Reply: 4th gen Replace stock dash lights with white LED's?