will a 3rd gen 5.0 fit in my 95?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 11:19 PM
Default will a 3rd gen 5.0 fit in my 95?

my buddy has a 5.0l from a 25th anivesry(92 3rd gen) and i was wondering i could relocate and replace my motor mounts to drop it in. also i know that engine uses a t5 manual if my t5 from my 3.4l could be, if needed, be converted to the engine or should i replace. last but not least, will the rear diffriential hold the power? reason probably won't be going for the 5.7l is i get this for way cheaper, fully dressed, and bored 60 over.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:09 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: will a 3rd gen 5.0 fit in my 95?

Short answer: Yes

Longer answer: Physically the motor is the same outer dimensions as any traditional small block chevy. You are going to need to get a different K-member. Consider that your car also thinks that it has a V6 and thus all the fuel trims are adjusted for that. The motor out of the '92 isn't going to have all the emissions equpiment and sensor hook ups that you're PCM is going to be looking for, thus it's going to trip your SES light. I would be willing to bet you're going to have a different input shaft on the transmission and possibly a different bell housing (someone that knows the V6 cars better than me may be able to let you know if the transmission has the same bolt pattern, it may not even bolt up). I would say you're probably better off passing up the "deal" on this motor because it's going to take a good amount of work to get everything swapped over and running how you want it. That, as well as the fact the 305 isn't the greatest motor to be basing a V8 car off of, due to the nature of the motor it's built to help reduce emissions and not really built for power. If you really want a V8 car, save some money, sell the V6 and look into purchasing a V8 car, it's going to be much easier and probably cheaper in the long run.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:30 AM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: will a 3rd gen 5.0 fit in my 95?

ORIGINAL: 95slvrZ28

Short answer: Yes

Longer answer: Physically the motor is the same outer dimensions as any traditional small block chevy. You are going to need to get a different K-member. Consider that your car also thinks that it has a V6 and thus all the fuel trims are adjusted for that. The motor out of the '92 isn't going to have all the emissions equpiment and sensor hook ups that you're PCM is going to be looking for, thus it's going to trip your SES light. I would be willing to bet you're going to have a different input shaft on the transmission and possibly a different bell housing (someone that knows the V6 cars better than me may be able to let you know if the transmission has the same bolt pattern, it may not even bolt up). I would say you're probably better off passing up the "deal" on this motor because it's going to take a good amount of work to get everything swapped over and running how you want it. That, as well as the fact the 305 isn't the greatest motor to be basing a V8 car off of, due to the nature of the motor it's built to help reduce emissions and not really built for power. If you really want a V8 car, save some money, sell the V6 and look into purchasing a V8 car, it's going to be much easier and probably cheaper in the long run.
cliffnotes: It will work, but your looking at a fair bit of time and cash and imho isnt worth it.