Tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 07:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Tranny?

I have to have my transmission rebuilt. Should i let a shop do itin order to get the warranty? Im very LOW on cash and need some advice. Where should i get the tranny? Used or new? Thanks guys.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:28 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Tranny?

how much more is it vs the actual work being done ? trans does break and isnt always solid so its up to you

Old 11-16-2008, 08:16 PM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

I am assuming this is a 4L60. I would personally would not buy a rebuilt one or have mine rebuilt by just any old shop. RPM transmissions specialize in GM transmissions if you want a well rebuilt one. If you are tight on cash make sure you do your research on a good transmission shop and don't just go by ear of what some one says. Check the shop out and make sure they are clean, Look at the cars in the shop and there condition, talk to the techs and mechanics and see if they have good experience, and get a written quote or estimate before you leave the shop, Once the work is done make sure you get the warranty information down on paper as well.

I paid to have the transmission and transfer in my truck rebuilt back in 2002. I was told it would be around 1200 bucks as there was not a hole lot of damage. A month latter when i came to pick up the truck the bill was a little more around 2500 bucks. I had to fight that shop tooth and nail and still ended up paying 1600 for the work just to get the truck back. On my way home i noticed the truck was shifting hard. After i pulled in the drive way and went in side to let the dogs out i came back out to a 6 inch puddle of trans fluid under the truck. So i took the truck back and you can guess they where happy to see me. They had the truck for about a week and told me they had over filled it and the dip stick was lose. As soon as i pulled out i noticed the truck was still shifting hard and was not shifting right at all was leaking from a out put seal. I ended selling the hole freaking truck because i got sick of dealing with it and fighting with the shop.

In my experince with GM transmissions they dont mind being rebuilt as long as you get good parts and some one that knows how to do the job right. Otherwise you are setting your self up to spend a lot of money and to possibly get a real heavy paper wait back in return.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well, I have first and second gear, but if i shift into drive or my overdrive gear, it keeps slipping and will not catch, so i cant go over about 25mph, does the sound like the tranny is going, or could it be a sprague or a band maybe? And yes it is the 4L60, its a 2002 Z Automatic by the way. What do yall think?

Old 11-17-2008, 09:44 PM
In the Staging Lanes

?????

Old 11-18-2008, 04:38 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Come on guys i need some HELP!

Old 11-18-2008, 04:41 PM
Overdrive Member

when was the last time you had the fluid change ? bad/worn fluid can cause slipping...

but it really sounds like you have some internal damage inside

whats it sound like when you are driving ? is there any grinding ? whats it like when it shifts ?

it could also be a bad torque converter its really hard to say

Old 11-18-2008, 06:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes

We replaced the torque converter and fluid and the filter just last week because we thought that may have been the problem. If i walk up the transmission starting in first then second and so on and so on, the tranny is fine. But if i start out in drive or overdrive gear, when it gets to where it should shift to third, the RPM's just increase but theres no power....clutch maybe?

Old 11-19-2008, 12:33 AM
Overdrive Member

how do you start it in first,second if its an automatic transmission ? you should only be able to start it in park or neutral

Old 11-19-2008, 07:38 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I didnt start the car in first, what i said was when i walk the car up when im moving from first, into second, the drive, and overdrive, the tranny catches fine. But if i start out in drive or overdrive i dont have anything after second gear. what do you think?

Quick Reply: Tranny?