why is my coolant on the ground?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 10:57 AM
2nd Gear member

I would check the radiator cap too. Mine went bad and all of the coolant would bubble out of the overflow and the car never got hot or even close to overheating. It would only do it when i stopped in a parking lot or parked the car after driving for some reason too. A $4 dollar cap fixed it.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:05 PM
2nd Gear member

So a water pump comes with the motor? I have no clue then. I called and they hadn't brought it back there yet so no clue when they might get to it. They were very busy yesterday with only 2 techs back there. One was running front desk so the man secretary could take vacation lol

Old 06-14-2013, 12:07 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by greenmachine96
I would check the radiator cap too. Mine went bad and all of the coolant would bubble out of the overflow and the car never got hot or even close to overheating. It would only do it when i stopped in a parking lot or parked the car after driving for some reason too. A $4 dollar cap fixed it.
I've been through several but that was because we were eliminating things when I had the water disappearing months back. I'm willing to bet they don't find anything. That's how tricky this car is. :/

Old 06-14-2013, 08:02 PM
4th Gear Member

Hopefully the mechanic will check the oil dipstick ensuring the oil level hasn't increase in level. If the level does increase, either a cracked head, or block, blown head gasket.

If radiator cap was not working correctly, the reservoir would overflow and leave coolant on the ground. As the engine cooled, the contraction would draw coolant back into the water jacket. One can usually follow the leak back to the source by the trail the coolant has left.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:35 PM
2nd Gear member

I would be completely shocked if it was a fatal issue. It never over heated. They were just bringing it back to the garage area at 3:30 so I never heard anything else.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:10 AM
4th Gear Member

Let's hope for the simple fixes.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:44 PM
2nd Gear member

What typically comes on a motor? This just makes me question if the alternator I have was mine or did they replace it? What about a/c compressor?

Old 06-15-2013, 08:53 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

There are not set rules. Most yards will remove saleable items off the motor but I have gotten motors with burned off motor mount and a cut harness. You could tell removel with the least possible work was the goal.

From the mechanics side he will install what he gets with the least possible work. Work like swaping water pumps, starters or anything else is most likely work you are not going to get paid for. In most case the motor you are installing is lower miles then the motor you are replacing so putting the higher miles parts on the low miles motor would not make a lot of sence.

FYI most shops will not install a used motor because there are soooo many things that can go wrong. People think they are getting a newish motor but most of the time they are getting a motor that in a car that was hit really hard then sat without being started for months. In many case they are just installing someone else headache. I never worked in a shop that wold installed them. I have done it as side jobs most of my life but I don't do it for customers just friends who I am sure understand.

Last edited by Gorn; 06-15-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:24 PM
2nd Gear member

My guess is the coolant got blocked up somewhere be it a clogged line, sticking thermostat, old refill hose, or bad radiator, and it the overflow tank.. well.. overflowed. Its happened to me a number of times. Typically when this happens, the temperature will go up after it blows, but not terribly high unless you run it for a decent amount of time after. And you can only add a little bit of coolant to the radiator after that. Then it runs fine again, until it bubbles up out of the coolant tank again.
If thats your problem, the mechanic wont be able to tell you without driving it for about 20 minutes unless the coolant is still hanging around on the passenger side of the hood and strut tower.

If its a different problem, lets just pray, because if it doesnt come out of the overflow tank like that, it usually isnt something good unless one of your heater hose clamps just went bad.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:20 PM
2nd Gear member

Ok I'm gonna have to quit reading this. You all are scaring me!

So it's possible that my nearly new water pump and alternator aren't the ones in there now? I'm gonna have to question that. So much for replacing crap.

Quick Reply: why is my coolant on the ground?