why is my coolant on the ground?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 05:04 PM
2nd Gear member
Default why is my coolant on the ground?

Really?? I lost it all in the grocery store parking lot with no warning. Had to nurse it to the shop. Crazy thing is we had our cavalier in the shop so I picked up one only drop this one off.

So what are the possible causes? I'll know tomorrow just want an idea of what the crap this is all about. The hoses looked ok.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:16 PM
August 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

overheated and blew it out of the overflow
waterpump not working
hole in the rad hoses

Old 06-13-2013, 05:26 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Cheeks
overheated and blew it out of the overflow
waterpump not working
hole in the rad hoses
He mentioned the thermostat may have stuck and it over heated. If it did, the gauge didn't indicate that. It climbed up afterwards though and I parked it about 1/2 mile from the shop.

Waterpump isn't that old but I guess it still could malfunction. If it were a hole in hose then it's a huge one. It poured out in a quick amount of time.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:21 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Mine did this when the timing cover gasket blew. Better hope that's not the cause. It was expensive to have a shop do that job. But it could be a broke/loose hose, bad water pump, timing cover gasket, intake gasket, etc... They'll just have to fill it up and see where it pours out of lol. Hopefully driving it hot didn't hurt the head gaskets.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:27 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

soft plug comes to mind.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:35 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by craby
soft plug comes to mind.
What is that?? Lol

When we put the coolant back, it wouldn't hold the entire gallon and it didn't pour directly back out. None was left in parking lot and didn't trail any. I never got it hotter than half up the gauge so hope that's ok. It had cooled back down last leg of trip.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:37 PM
2nd Gear member

They probably "tried" to call me I'm pretty sure the number I. Gave them belongs to the phone sitting in front seat of camaro. Yes I feel like an a$$

Old 06-14-2013, 07:10 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Most common issues on newly installed motors is hoses poping off and items not routed right rubbing through hoses.

Was the water pump new when you had the motor installed?

Old 06-14-2013, 08:02 AM
2nd Gear member

I'm not sure if this pump is the one I had or not. I'll ask. The one that was on was replaced right before I bought it cause the previous owner was eliminating the reasons he was losing coolant. I'm calling within the half hour and see what they've found. Crazy thing to lose a nights sleep over but I did. Yawn...

Old 06-14-2013, 10:38 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Most mechanic would not switch the water pump unless it was needed (it was different ) or it showed stains that it was leaking or if you asked. Its easy to say he should have changed that but then again you can say that about any part on the motor. You can spend hours swapping parts over but it all cost $$$.

Quick Reply: why is my coolant on the ground?