Whos Lowered Without Panhard? LS1 or LT1

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 09:20 AM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight
Default Whos Lowered Without Panhard? LS1 or LT1

No offense sixers but the weight distribution is way diff unless you have insight of a v8, then your advice is apriciated, BUT i keep being told that i HAVE to run an adjustable panhard bar,,, Im doing the 1.75" Drop on my 2000 and i dont wanna do the bar right this second, can i get along fine without it? are you guys? and if you are how wide are your tires? someone told me ill rub around corners.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:20 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

im only down about 1.3 and i rubbed only on dips but was on one side bad. switched to a adjustable one and now it rubbs just a little on both sides. the offset on the wheels is y im rubbing. they dont make em with the right offset. cant remember the tire numbers i have so ill get the numbers off my tires latter today for ya. if u roll the wheelwells u can get some pretty wide tires on the back. musicman had the widest ive seen on the back of a forth gen but he got rid of em. looked kill.

Last edited by craby; 04-23-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:31 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

To answer your other question, you can't go without a panhard bar. That's what locks the rearend to the frame laterally.
Without it, your rearend will flop from side to side like a wet fish (just ask craby about wet fish)!

Old 04-23-2010, 11:58 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

u always brighten even the darkest of days 69. thanks for the chuckle, i could be wrong (again) lol but i think he was asking about using the adjustable panhard not deleting all together.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:09 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by craby
u always brighten even the darkest of days 69. thanks for the chuckle, i could be wrong (again) lol but i think he was asking about using the adjustable panhard not deleting all together.
Could be that too. When he asked "can i get along fine without it" it made me think he was wondering if he could go without the bar altogether, since an adjustable one wasn't in his budget. If nothing else, my answer may help to clear the muddy waters.
Oh, and you're welcome for the chuckle, you having a roughy day today?

Last edited by Camaro 69; 04-23-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:47 PM
3rd Gear Member

the difference it will make is about 3/8 of an inch to one side vs the other, so if your confident that you have enough room for the rims not to scrub then leave the stock panhard rod in

only thing i would say is a 1.75" drop is LOW, and make sure your springs are hard, i had some eibachs and the rear bottomed out over every bump and the drop was 1.5 but springs were soft

Old 04-23-2010, 04:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Like the others said, you "can" run a lowered car without an adjustable Panhard rod, but the Panhard rod is designed to locate/center the rear axle on the frame. Lowering the car without adjusting the Panhard length will pull the axle laterally a slight bit, which will throw off your alignment. If you don't care that it's off, and your tires are narrow enough that they won't rub, then you can get by.

The "ideal" circumstance is to use a stock-length Panhard rod with a relocated body mount that accomodates the drop, but I'm not sure if any exist.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:12 PM
3rd Gear Member

hey guys, what are the risks if the panhard is not adjusted properly? and how do you recommend properly setting it?

Old 04-23-2010, 04:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by auto
hey guys, what are the risks if the panhard is not adjusted properly? and how do you recommend properly setting it?
There are no settings for the OEM rods. As for the adjustable one, you just have to set it by measuring the wheel/tire face distance from each fender lip - basically looking to get the axle centered on the car.

IIRC, if the axle's too far to the driver's side, then shorten the rod. If too far to passenger, lengthen it.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:44 PM
3rd Gear Member

i see...what exactly does it control?

Quick Reply: Whos Lowered Without Panhard? LS1 or LT1