where to start

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 05:48 AM
Default where to start

several yrs ago i found this 94 LT1 camaro sitting at a shop with broken windows flat tires & some lovely ... what looks like white house paint, stripes from the hood to the wing. The stereo had been ganked & it had been raining in the car for like 2 yrs,door handles broke off , rough shape ..
I finally contacted the owner of the car . She said it was her ex boyfriends & that it had a bad tranny & she didnt know what to do with it.
She said for 1k i could have it.
So i took the ol truck & trailor over to load it up , aired up the tires , but was having serious trouble trying to get it on trailor cause car was so low.
Long story short
I ended up hooking a set of jumper cables to this severly damaged Zcar
& after letting it charge a minute or 2 it fired rite up !!!!!
I put it in gear & drove it home ,,, only had first & second gear , which was plenty for me to get it to the house .
Since then i put some new door glass in it , had the 4l60 rebuilt put a cheap cold air kit on her & a flowmaster. For a factory car she still runs like a scolded dog !!
I driven it probably 5 yrs now !! she dont look pretty with the whit latex house paint stripes , but it will get with the program for a factory car
NOW
I want to start upgrading
hence the reason i joined this forum.
Im gonna start with some of the mods mentioned in the above sticky.
any advice anyone wants to throw my way would be great.
I would eventually like to have some type of forced induction added to it
That is the plan anyway.
But i would like to get it performing as good as possible before i find a blower.
since i have a air kit & flowmaster I think i will start with some headers & try following the instructions in the sticky above.
Thats the short version of my story
Questions
Where is a good place to get parts ?
like interier, the plastic that was around the stereo before the punk kids stole it is shattered, the outside door handle is broke , inside plastic behind inside door handles is broke.
where do i get headers , MAFs, , bigger throttle inlets .... you get the idea
Any help would be appriciated

Old 03-10-2011, 11:16 AM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ebay and craigslist are your best friends for Camaro parts. That's where I've bought everything for my Camaro. I've completely redone the interior and a couple exterior panels. As for the stereo, check out sonicelectronix.com.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:20 PM
3rd Gear Member

Try Fbodymotorsports.com they have alot of interior parts and performance parts.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:54 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

start reading on this forum. there are many buid threads with links to outlets and ideas for what you could do. also many good links to plastic and hard to find parts. i have used ebay with mixed results. have gotten good parts from long time ebay sellers. just gota look at the history of the seller.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:54 PM

hey , thanks guys

there is alot on this forum
I will try to post my progress

Old 03-10-2011, 06:27 PM

I'm working on a 94 z-28 and have other cars I enjoy tinkering with too. I'd make sure the car was reliable first. Cars this old have issues with fuel pumps, injectors, engine controls and stuff like that. I picked up a service manual for about $40 on ebay and it's worth every cent already. Alternators, water pumps, hoses, VACUUM LINES (!) all have yrs of hot/cold cycling that deteriorate rubber. I've picked up some grommets at O"Reilly's for a Honda that worked well in some spots. Electric window and door lock switches are still available on ebay and the fresh ink looks so much better than the worn stuff (and work better!). Next on my list is a wiper motor and linkage (mine is showing signs of age, so I know it's just a matter of time). The door gaskets are OK, but I have some wind noise to track down.
All this seems obvious, but believe me, a basically sound car makes a much better project to work on. I was drooling over the black leather seats I saw on Ebay for about $500, but I have a leather chair to just sit in and I like to jam some gears, even if the seats are stained and worn some.
Hope you have as much fun as I have already.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:10 PM
Overdrive Member

Forced induction is great but to get the most out of it you need to build the engine to handle the loads and boost. These LT1 engines have 10:1 compression which is great for NA power but not so much for boosted power. Read up on what other's have done to the LT1 and kept it NA and still are able to run some good numbers in the 1320.
If this were my car I think I would be spending some time making sure everything works like it should and then I would work on how it looks. The first thing everyone sees is the exterior, so if you care how people see you start there. The interior is where you live when you drive, if you cant stand how that looks start there. That is just how I would do it.

I got lucky with my Sarah, she already looked good when I towed her home. She needed a little engine work and that was about it. I have kept her looking nice even after being totaled 3 weeks after I brought her home. Check the link in my sig below the pic to see what has been done. Now that I am happy with how she runs and looks I am starting to play with how she handles. I am going to be upgrading my rear suspension first (the rear is really weak in these cars) and then I am going to play with the fronts and last the brakes. The engine is going to remain mostly stock, I am happy with the way the 3800 performs, and by the time I am done with the handling mods I should be able tear up a road course pretty well.

Massey

Old 03-11-2011, 04:48 AM

good advice Massy & thank you guys again for the input

Im gonna start searching ebay & craigs list for some interior & other parts
& get the car good & sound in out & underneath before i try to get more out of the engine
thanks again

Old 03-11-2011, 04:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Nobody has asked for pictures yet, so I guess I will! Show us what were up against here, and good luck with your parts hunt.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by ryguy425425
Nobody has asked for pictures yet, so I guess I will! Show us what were up against here, and good luck with your parts hunt.
be right back

Quick Reply: where to start