Wheel Need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Default Wheel Need help

Hey guys i bought a set of nice lookin black wheels for my 95 camaro and when i went to put them on the back plateing on the inside of the wheel makes them stick out more then usual...the guy said they came off a 93 firebird...what can i do to make this wheels fit thanks guys.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:59 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Makes them stick out further? How much further?

Old 05-08-2011, 09:03 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Sounds like a different offset wheel. Or different width.

Do you have any stamping on the wheels? Like 17x8et50 or something like that? That'll tell you a lot. If you look at your old wheels it should have an offset and then your new wheels should too. Or it'll have a backspace measuring.

If you have an offset of 0, and a new wheel has an offset of 0 this means they'll fit the same, but the old wheels are 7 inches and the new is 8 inches, you essentially add .5" of width on each side. Hope that makes sense.

Are the new wheels wider? Different offset?

Old 05-08-2011, 09:05 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^+1

Old 05-09-2011, 02:16 AM

All i no man is the wheels stick out of the fender wells about an 1inch and half..Ill have to look again to see what size they r on my stock wheels but i no for fact that there not as wide as my new tires cuz with my stock wheels on its tuck in the fenders pretty nicely and the new ones stick out quite a bet and it looks gay.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:23 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Well, the width of the wheel could be the same and poke out the fenders more, that is more dependent on the actual offset than anything. A thinner wheel would have to have quite an enormous offset different to actually stick out the fender more.

Every 25mm is roughly 1 inch.

So if you have 2 wheels, both the exact same width, let's say.. 7" wide... if the first has an offset of 25 and the other had an offset of 0, it's going to stick out an inch more than the other did, even though it's the same width.

Are you able to look on them and look for any stamping on it? Surely they've got a stamp, sometimes they won't put it on the outside of the wheel because it "looks ugly" so it may be on the inside of the wheel with the wheel off.

Since you've got one set off, you should be able to hunt down any stamping with the wheel dimensions on it somewhere. Keep in mind if they aren't the same front and back you'll have different numbers for the front and different numbers for the back.

This is probably THE COOLEST offset calculator I found on the internet because it gives you a visual of exactly what your old wheel and new wheel will look like.

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

Just so you can get an idea of what I mean... plug these numbers into the above calculator.

Wheel on the left...
255/40/17 - 8 et 50
That gives us a 255 wide tire, 40 height on profile size on a 17 inch rim. The value of the rim is 8" wide and the offset is 50. Notice how far forward the rim is pushed to the "outside" of the wheel.

Wheel on the right...
255/40/17 - 8 et 25
That gives us the same tire height, same tire width, same rim width... BUT your offset is CLOSER to the inside of the wheel.

Now imagine for a minute putting the wheel on the left on your car and having it "flush" with the inside of the fender.

Now imagine putting the wheel on the RIGHT side on your car... remember, every 25mm is 1 inch... so the wheel is going to poke out about 1" exactly.

So if you can find out what the size of your original wheels are, and then the size of these new rims you'll be able to do a super quick math calculation and figure out if they'll fit or what you need to do to make them fit.

Hope this helps explain a little bit better for you.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:15 AM
Overdrive Member

PIcs would help here.

a 93 Firechicken will have the same suspension as the 4th gen camaros, But a 92 Firechicken will not. The 3rd gens suspension is totally different than the 4th gens. And 3rd gen wheels will bolt up but stick out about an inch or so on a 4th gen.

Massey

Old 05-09-2011, 05:24 PM

i dont no how to post up pics on here other then profile pics but the new wheels say 16x8 jx -6.4 and all four wheels have that stamping and my stock wheel r on my car still so whats that till me about the offset..and i have a 245/50/16 tire.