Whats wrong with v6 my car then.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 07:28 PM
2nd Gear member

How do I check If It Is bad I did a search on youtube but all came up was use a voltemeter to see If It Is charging the battery or stick a screw driver on the center of the alternator to feel magnatic force. Is that what ya talking about. Or what. Or I think that Is the actualy way to tell If It Is charging the battery not to see If the alternator Is bad. Then.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:36 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

a volt meter is good 14-15 at idle is good 13-14 is ok anything less is bad

Old 09-25-2011, 07:53 PM
2nd Gear member

I will check that out he said In the video that the voltemter thing wont tell If the alternator Is bad It will tell If It Is charging the battery and the user above said to check If the alternator Is bad Is there a different process I should use then.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:58 PM
2nd Gear member
Old 09-26-2011, 10:35 AM
1st Gear Member

yes they do make a spray its called belt dressing and it can be picked up at any auto parts place prob kmart, walart and other places like that. it is not a fix it just covers up the problem by spaying some type of lube on the belt. you can also take a bar of soap and rub it on the the belt (just to rule the belt as the problem) with the engine off dont want to loose a limb now do you.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:05 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Originally Posted by mab6680
yes they do make a spray its called belt dressing and it can be picked up at any auto parts place prob kmart, walart and other places like that. it is not a fix it just covers up the problem by spaying some type of lube on the belt. you can also take a bar of soap and rub it on the the belt (just to rule the belt as the problem) with the engine off dont want to loose a limb now do you.
if you read the can it says dont use dressing on serp belts it will make it slip... the squeak is either a pulley or the belt needs to be replaced

the bottom pulley is the crank and not the squeak the one on the left is the water pump and the one on the right is the power steering pump which makes more of a whine although when you started it the "weird sound" kinda sounds like the ps pump... break the clamp off and replace it with a metal hose clamp... your gauges seem fine volts are good oil pressure seems a little high temp is good... ohh and the rpms its not an 1/8th of a rpm its 800 rpm the 1 is actually 1000 but 800 on the idle is good

Last edited by BasicConcepts; 09-26-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:41 PM
2nd Gear member

Are you saying that It might be a power steering pump not any of the three pulleys I was talking about and what Is a power steering pump hose and also do you think there Is something wrong with the car when ya said It was a little hot then.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:00 PM
Tech Droid

Originally Posted by 94ChevyCamaroV6
Im not looking for magic **** I am wondering If there Is a spray that I can put on to fix the sqeaking I didnt ask for a smart alic response then.
There is nothing in a can that will permanently fix anything on an engine. The problem is that you are stuck in the transmit mode. You need to release the transmit button and start listening to what people with more knowledge and experience, than you seem to have, are trying to explain you.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:23 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 94ChevyCamaroV6
Are you saying that It might be a power steering pump not any of the three pulleys I was talking about and what Is a power steering pump hose and also do you think there Is something wrong with the car when ya said It was a little hot then.
Read carefully, the power steering pump has a pulley.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:41 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by z28pete
There is nothing in a can that will permanently fix anything on an engine. The problem is that you are stuck in the transmit mode. You need to release the transmit button and start listening to what people with more knowledge and experience, than you seem to have, are trying to explain you.
that is sage advice

Quick Reply: Whats wrong with v6 my car then.