Whats she worth ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 10:21 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Samot
i did KBB it & i thought the value came out too high .......
i went ahead & put $3500 on it.
someone should get a decent ride for that price
when i posted I should have been more specific

KBB is fantasy-land and is for suggested dealer list prices

edmunds.com better reflects the market and shows you car as being sub $2,000

I did not want to post that in my first reply because one tends to get flamed for posting realistic numbers because most who ask the question are young and don't understand market reality and get defensive.

Let me give you a market reality. Where i live, there are currently many foreclosed homes. Those homes sell for very low prices. Several years ago I spent almost $250k (yes you read that correctly) in CASH in udpating my house.

market reality is all of that cash that i spent is GONE. I will never get it back. Years ago it made sense to remodel and update homes because you at least would recover the money.

You too must face market reality and $4 per gallon gas, and a beat up car isn't going to help you.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:29 AM
1st Gear Member

^ I agree with you torque_is_good. I don't think I'd spend more than $2000 if I was a buyer...that's the perspective you have to look at when your listing a car for sale.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:52 AM

Thank you Sir!!
I wanted honesty !!
I have already dropped the price to 3
& i agree it probably wont fetch more than 2k but if i go lower than 2500 I will be upset with myself
In fact , ill probably take the for sale sign off & just continue driving it.
& again thank you for your input, my feelers arnt phased what so ever with you telling me my car is not worth very much ,
Originally Posted by torque_is_good
when i posted I should have been more specific

KBB is fantasy-land and is for suggested dealer list prices

edmunds.com better reflects the market and shows you car as being sub $2,000

I did not want to post that in my first reply because one tends to get flamed for posting realistic numbers because most who ask the question are young and don't understand market reality and get defensive.

Let me give you a market reality. Where i live, there are currently many foreclosed homes. Those homes sell for very low prices. Several years ago I spent almost $250k (yes you read that correctly) in CASH in udpating my house.

market reality is all of that cash that i spent is GONE. I will never get it back. Years ago it made sense to remodel and update homes because you at least would recover the money.

You too must face market reality and $4 per gallon gas, and a beat up car isn't going to help you.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:54 AM

thank you
If i had the money to put into fixing it up , i would want it to look like the black one in your sig !!
That thing looks good !!!!!
Originally Posted by je$$up97
^ I agree with you torque_is_good. I don't think I'd spend more than $2000 if I was a buyer...that's the perspective you have to look at when your listing a car for sale.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:33 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Samot
thank you
If i had the money to put into fixing it up , i would want it to look like the black one in your sig !!
That thing looks good !!!!!
Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more

look up coverking seat covers. They are semi custom covers that are made specifically for the model/year of the vehicle. They are slip on but once installed they look like factory upholstery. I out them on my 4th gen and they look good. Cost is around $170

Auto Carpet for Car, Truck, Van - Stock Interiors

buy a new moulded carpet for your passenger area. Again about $220. You are now at $390 and have spruced up the interior. You can also compare with 1aauto as they include shipping so compare total cost.

Next, go get some 220 and 320 grit sandpaper and start sanding the rusty areas. Buy some rattle can primer and just prime over the areas once you sand. Then, with 400 grit, wet sand the car and then bring it to Maaco for a cheapo, same color paint job. It will run about $500.

Then, Nextag - Compare Prices Before you Buy and compare prices for tires and get some tires.

With new paint(cheap Maaco) and rug, the seats looking better, you will enjoy the vehicle more and will get back every penny if you install the new carpet yourself because you are at around $900. Tired interiors and bad paint are big turn offs.

Myself personally, I'd rather drop the engine than have to mess with paint and interior and window motors.

Last edited by torque_is_good; 04-14-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:22 AM
1st Gear Member

thanks for the compliment, that's my baby in my signature. I too was at a point like you are with your car, but at about 96k. My car needed a lot of work about 5 years ago. i was debating to sell her or drop some $$ into her and bring her back to prime condition. Camaro's weren't in production and the value had really plummeted, so I decided to hang on to her.

At the time, I was making good money, so I decided to pull her off the road becuz she wasn't my primary car anymore. What was supposed to be a year or so turned into about a 5 year project. However, now I feel that it was worth the wait. I still have a lot of plans for her.

torque has provided some good info...I would follow his advice, seems like a small investment for some good results.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:03 PM

Damn !! Thanks again !! Good advice .....
Im glad i joined this forum !! Nothing but positive info so far. Thanks again guys
Originally Posted by torque_is_good
Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more

look up coverking seat covers. They are semi custom covers that are made specifically for the model/year of the vehicle. They are slip on but once installed they look like factory upholstery. I out them on my 4th gen and they look good. Cost is around $170

Auto Carpet for Car, Truck, Van - Stock Interiors

buy a new moulded carpet for your passenger area. Again about $220. You are now at $390 and have spruced up the interior. You can also compare with 1aauto as they include shipping so compare total cost.

Next, go get some 220 and 320 grit sandpaper and start sanding the rusty areas. Buy some rattle can primer and just prime over the areas once you sand. Then, with 400 grit, wet sand the car and then bring it to Maaco for a cheapo, same color paint job. It will run about $500.

Then, Nextag - Compare Prices Before you Buy and compare prices for tires and get some tires.

With new paint(cheap Maaco) and rug, the seats looking better, you will enjoy the vehicle more and will get back every penny if you install the new carpet yourself because you are at around $900. Tired interiors and bad paint are big turn offs.

Myself personally, I'd rather drop the engine than have to mess with paint and interior and window motors.