What do you guys think about this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 11:02 AM
2nd Gear member
Default What do you guys think about this problem?

Ok, so I apparently fixed the worst part of this problem. I was having a massive coolant issue a while back. Took care of it. But every now and again, like a couple weeks at a time, I need to refill the coolant. Car never gets past 225, so its like there is a massive air bubble in there. I relieve pressure and add coolant until it stops taking it. Like I said, this is very rare anymore but shouldnt happen so frequently either.

The other day when cleaning the under side of my car, I noticed a coolant drip. I looked up and down and all around, but it was coming from no where else but what appeared to be the crank seal. Now I thought, this isnt right. So Ii did some research and some people say that it might be the gasket to timing chain cover. Coolant runs through there I take it? I dont have much experience with that area.

So should I replace the gasket for the timing chain cover, and is there a write up on here about changing one?

side notes - i literally looked everywhere. its only dripping from the bottom half of the crank right behind the pulley. There is nothing wet above it, to the side, in front, all dry. Water pump gasket is new and dry. Same with thermostat and housing and gasket. Water pump was completely fine when I took it out for the gasket. Nothing burning off in or on the engine.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:45 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Well, I had some advice, but I just realized you have a v6. Sorry. I had to go back and delete my post so I didn't look like an idiot. Haha

Old 03-21-2013, 11:54 AM
2nd Gear member

i would replace the timing cover gasket if its leaking from there, mine was leaking pretty bad from there a few months ago, I was adding coolant every week. Might want to think about a new timing chain and sprockets while your in there....that is if you dont plan on putting a new engine in there at some point. Don't know about a write-up maybe someone else on here has that info.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:58 PM
3rd Gear Member

Don't see any write up. But its pretty str8 forward on a 3.4. You can pm me if you need some directions. I've been inside and out of that motor.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:17 PM
2nd Gear member

Thank you all for the help. Ill was actually thinking about doing the timing chain since timing is what keeps everything moving right in the engine and its probably about due for a change anyhow. I didnt know about the sprockets though. So thank you. Ill look into them as well.

From what I remember, I thought it was a big job to do the timing chain in these? I will probably send you a message when I get all the stuff for it. Ill probably get everything. Timing chain, sprockets, gasket, and should I get a new cover? Maybe the old cover is rusting away? She isnt really rusty but if coolant is flowing through, I would imagine that area could rust up after a bit.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:16 PM
2nd Gear member

ok, so im throwing the timing cover idea out the window. thats $100 easy and hard to find for the 3.4l. and being as thick as it is, shouldnt be rusted or chipped out.
Found a whole new set up, timing chain and sprocket kit, timing gasket set with sleeve, plus coolant for right around $60. So this will be getting done very soon.