Weird popping noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 06:18 PM

When I leave my drive way its a loud pop. Sometimes it echos. But depending on how fast I take a corner it depends on the pop. If I take it fast it doesn't pop but if I take it slow it "clicks" I guess, it doesn't really sound like a pop its a faint noise. But that happens if I go left or right.

I can't tell where its coming from but the other day I had my girlfriend turn my wheels left and right slowly and I got under the front end of the car looking for metal to metal contact. When she cranked the wheel to the right I heard a loud pop and my head quickly shot over the left looking somewhere at the passenger side wheel.

But once it makes a loud pop it doesn't make another one. Say I start my car up for the first time today and I turn my wheel it pops very loudly. But say if I leave and come back then leave 15 mins or so later the wheel won't pop. But if I let it sit for a couple hours it will pop again.

And I did the brake change myself and I can tell you I did good work, I also changed my tie rods and I also changed the control arms on the passenger side.

My next look will be to see if there is any contact when the control mount it turn all the way to the right seeing if it hit the spindle.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:05 PM
1st Gear Member

So, are you saying?

It comes from the front
it is a click (not a pop or a clunk)
and you think it is on the passenger side

Old 05-01-2012, 08:47 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

holy crab,,, there aint much left to replace. shock mounts could be rusted out. how old are they?

Old 05-01-2012, 09:40 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Just a FYI a loose pad can have nothing to do with the installation. A weak sping or even a small amount of dirt, If the brakes got too hot once it could cause a loose pads,,, Sure sound like something cooling down over night. Have you done the wheel bearings? Another two or three thousand and you should have this worked out

Maybe this will help. We like to think that when we hear a noise’s all we need to do is track down the source and replace that part. That is not always true. Metaphorically speaking, let’s say I shoot a rubber band at a drum. The noise is coming from the drum so I replace it, but the drum was just being a drum and the new drum still makes the noise. I can do just about anything to that drum even change the way it sounds but I am not going to stop the noise until I stop shooting rubber bands at it. Metaphorically speaking I have replaced a lot of drums before I figured out where the rubber band as coming from.

One thing to remember, your ears can be tricked your sense of feel cannot. Sounds like in your case it would be very dangerous but if you can lay a hand across mating parts you can feel which part has more vibration (or pop intensity) in it and you start tracing back. An OSHA inspector would have had a heart attack if he saw the crap we used to do

Another FYI: I have a degree in automotive technologies and was a GM master tech so trust me when I say most mechanic are not any better then you at finding a noise like this. There is no “find a noise class” no special tools and unless you have done warranty work most people are not willing to pay the kind of time it takes to track down these noises so many mechanics have not done a lot of trouble shooting in this area. The only real advantage a mechanic has is he is trained on how the suspension is stress as it is used so detail on when the noise is the loudest can give us clues on areas to inspect.

Last edited by Gorn; 05-02-2012 at 06:32 AM.