v8 turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 08:33 PM
Default v8 turbo?

Hey guys I was wondering if anybody around here has ever tried to mount a turbo on the 5.7L V8 motors. I just picked up a turbo today cheap for 200$ that only pushes 12psi max but the engine supposingly only holds 8psi anyway so I'll run it low. I thought that I could mount it either where my AC Compressor is if I take it out or mount it downstream on my exhaust. I was just wondering if anybody has theirs turboed and could help me out on where to fit it, or even fit the intercooler because there is really almost no room to work under that hood =\.

ps. Didn't get a supercharger because they would cost me an arm and a leg and I'm only 19. =] So if you don't think me turbo'ing* it is a good idea, just say something and send me a link to cheap superchargers. =D Thanks in advance guys and gals.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:18 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: v8 turbo?

Check out www.ststurbo.com

Old 10-13-2008, 09:24 PM
2nd Gear member

Depending on your miles I wouldn't suggest anything above 6 psi. These high compression engines don't like FI very much...Other than the spray.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:36 PM
Overdrive Member

i know a bunch of guys who end up turboing their 4th gen, its really common now days.but it does cost a lot to get it installed and tuned correctly, and id build on your engine first before doing this, if you havent done so already, im not much of an expert on forced induction, but always remember that you cant always take the cheap way out, if you want it done right and want quality stuff just save until you can, dont be in such a hurry.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:02 PM

Oh the turbos almost brand new. My friend said it has around 4k miles on it. He got bigger turbos and I told him I wanted his old one for helping him with his car. I can get my car tuned free from a teacher who I went to school with. So I'm not too worried about the cost in that. I have the means to hook it all up correctly, I was just not sure if there was anything I was missing =] I just wanted some input on the situation. =D My car runs fine its got about 107k on body and around 14k on motor because I had rebuilt it last winter. Like I said its not a big turbo but I didn't plan to push the 12psi max I only wanted like you said 6- maybe 8. =] Thanks for the input guys, greatly appreciated and ty for that link.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:29 PM

its not that the engine itself cant handle it, youll need an fmu no matter what, a base tune, and a secondary fuel pump to make sure you get that fuel up to your rails. and id go with bigger injectors. i just made a 383 supercharged happen and it runs awesome.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:45 PM
3rd Gear Member

get intouch with forcefedfabrications
they do alot of the turbo kits for out cars and manifold making and what not

Old 10-23-2008, 04:33 PM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

There is a lot of gray area when it comes to LS1's and it depends a lot on what you want out of it. There are so many factors that go into deciding where the limits are its not even funny. Turbo size, Boost, Intercooler effectiveness, fuel, air, tuning, turbo location, exhaust resistance, EGT's, and thats just the tip of the ice burg by all means. The LS1 is a strong engine to start out with and can support a good boost and power with out any fuel or tunning mods. Keep in mind we are talking about mild levels around the low 400s wheel horse power and say maybe 6lbs from a mild size turbo with a good intercooler. Now with that same kit you add a simple fuel pump, injectors, and a mild dyno tune and you have now you are seeing mid to high 400s and running 10lbs. Once again you have to keep in mind a lot depends on the kit and set up. You can run a small turbo at 12 PSI and not be moving nearly as much air as a large turbo runing 8 psi. This is why when people say the LS1 is only good for 8 PSI they realy have not done there home work. Think about it. If i have a single turbo kit with a 60 trim i could probaly run 10 psi with a good tune and supporting mods safe. If i took the same kit but swaped out to a 78 trim i would produce more power but i would probaly be limited to 7-8 pounds since the bigger turbo is moving more air due to its large compressior size even thow it is producing less boost.

KEY BOOST FACTORS
TURBO SIZE
BOOST LEVEL

Fuel
Timing
Tuning
Intercooler Efectivness and type
intake air temp
EGT's
Exhaust restrictions

There are a few turbo guys lurking in the shadows around here.