Upgrading from monsoon speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 07:09 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by greycon88
Bah, those Type R's look good...

You think I could just do the doors without the other 6 speakers?
That might cause issues if I eq just the door speakers and none of the others.
I'd have to leave all my ***** on my eq at neutral or just not wire the eq to the front speakers.

If I can get the two type r's in the doors without it causing problems then I'll do that to finish up upgrading my system.

But, would I need a new amp for just those two? I think the monsoon one is 500w peak, 200 RMS. Which isn't bad..
But if it's wired to all 8 speakers, they will only get like 25w each RMs which is poo. the alpine type r's can take 100 rms @ 4 ohms.
As for your trunk rattles, you could use the dynamat wedge pak (one 18x32 sheet) on your trunk lid. That's what I did. No more rattles (:
I think you'd be fine with just the two door speakers. I've read of people just replacing those and being fine. I downloaded some schematics of the factory Monsoon system but really can't make sense of them lol. I think the two Rs would make a good upgrade to complete it. For now.

My speakers are all running off the headunit (X and R), so I'd say no. They can take that much, but you won't ever (I believe) be feeding it that much. An expert might want to chime in here.

I'll look into the Dynamat a little bit more possibly this week. If that got settled, I'd be good for a while I think! Well, until I get a better box that is.

Guitar, can I see a pic of your front speakers, are they clean?

Alpine SPE-6000 Coaxial 2-way 6-1/2" Car Speakers
It says those won't fit 2001 chevy camaro but I'm pretty sure they will
I'd stay way from the Es, I just heard they were crap. To be honest I wouldn't go lower than the Rs. They would fit however, because they are probably shallower than my Rs. Hell, my X components in the front are deeper than my Rs (from the specs on Crutchfield apparently).

They are mounted behind the factory mesh, so yeah I suppose they look fine. They are mounted with just the woofer, I didn't put the Alpine grills on them as I figured no need. I'm not taking the door panel off lol, but from the picture you'll see they fit fine behind it. The crossovers are somewhere in the door where the window motor would go; didn't want to hard mount it. Everything fits good and nothing moves around.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes

That's legit.
I thought they would look like the ones in the back or have wires sticking out, not look right, etc

I guess I'll go with the r's coaxials but they're expensive compared to E's and I don't see why I need them if I'm not going to use the extra power that R's provide..

I would get type r components but I heard type-r tweeters are kind of crappy and distort more than monsoon at higher volume levels..

Last edited by greycon88; 09-28-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:07 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Well it's settled. I'm tuning my subs down to 60hz and geting type r coaxials in the front and two type r's in the back. Guitar, did you use the same sized speakers as the fronts for the back?

Old 09-30-2011, 07:31 PM
2nd Gear member

Well it's settled. I'm tuning my subs down to 60hz and geting type r coaxials in the front and two type r's in the back. Guitar, did you use the same sized speakers as the fronts for the back?
Yeah they are 6.5" all around.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:19 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Guitar
Yeah they are 6.5" all around.

I just got a lot of money so I'm going to get two sets of
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...e-SPR-60C.html
These for the front and back to replace the 8 monsoon speakers.

Are the 4 tweeters ( 2 front/back) hard to find and replace?

Last edited by greycon88; 10-03-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:27 PM
2nd Gear member

I just got a lot of money so I'm going to get two sets of
Alpine SPR-60C (SPR60C) 6.5" 2-Way Type-R Component Car Speakers
These for the front and back to replace the 8 monsoon speakers.

Are the 4 tweeters ( 2 front/back) hard to find and replace?
I wouldn't bother using tweeters in the rear, I've heard it doesn't really help or make a difference.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I wouldn't bother using tweeters in the rear, I've heard it doesn't really help or make a difference.
Yeah, I just found that out.
But doesn't the monsoon 8 speaker system have tweeters in the back?

It doesn't make sense having 6 alpine speakers and 2 monsoon tweeters, i might just remove them entirely.

I'll go with components in the front, like you and you said you had composites in the back, right? I want a setup just like yours but with type R's because I'm not a rich ****er. hah

What are composite speakers? Is that just another word for coaxial?

Old 10-03-2011, 12:52 PM
2nd Gear member

Yeah, I just found that out.
But doesn't the monsoon 8 speaker system have tweeters in the back?

It doesn't make sense having 6 alpine speakers and 2 monsoon tweeters, i might just remove them entirely.

I'll go with components in the front, like you and you said you had composites in the back, right? I want a setup just like yours but with type R's because I'm not a rich ****er. hah

What are composite speakers? Is that just another word for coaxial?
I'm not sure, I don't think I had the "upgraded" audio, or it was removed from before I got it. My X components were the ALPINE SPX-17REF, the older versions, so I paid just under $200 for them. Composite I was just confusing with coaxial...component and composite are cables so I attributed it to speakers unintentionally.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:19 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I'm not sure, I don't think I had the "upgraded" audio, or it was removed from before I got it. My X components were the ALPINE SPX-17REF, the older versions, so I paid just under $200 for them. Composite I was just confusing with coaxial...component and composite are cables so I attributed it to speakers unintentionally.
I think the fronts are what matters.
The question is, if you got front composites and mounted the two tweeters in a unique, non-stock location, did you not remove the two front monsoon tweeters?

Basically I'd go for two type r tweeters where yours are, 4 type r's in the front and back and get rid of those other two monsoon speakers

Last edited by greycon88; 10-03-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:47 PM
2nd Gear member

I think the fronts are what matters.
The question is, if you got front composites and mounted the two tweeters in a unique, non-stock location, did you not remove the two front monsoon tweeters?

Basically I'd go for two type r tweeters where yours are, 4 type r's in the front and back and get rid of those other two monsoon speakers
I didn't have two front Monsoon tweeters. Didn't have the disc changer either.

Quick Reply: Upgrading from monsoon speakers?