Update: Still no spark! 96, V6 3.8L.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 12:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Nevermind... That guide wasnt much use because I don't see a 10MM bolt. Ill just wait for Massey, I hope he can help :P. Thanks Craby!

Old 10-19-2010, 01:04 PM
Overdrive Member

OK first off that is not the right pulley for the Camaro. That is the FWD pulley! It does take a special gear puller tool to take it off the car. The only thing special about the puller is the bolts that go into the 3 holes. As for getting the large bolt out of the middle you will just have to find a way to hold the crank while you break it free or use an impact driver. The threads are normal lefty loosey threads. That pulley should work for the car if it has the 18X and 3X reluctor wheels underneath. they are sheet metal (stainless) and they can come out with just a couple of screws (3 or 4 if memory serves me right), and they are indexed so the sensor can determine where #1 cylinder is. Once you get the pulley off you will find a plastic retainer that is held in with 3 pins you just have to kinda pry the ratainer off the pins carefully. you can then remove the bolts holding the sensor in place. Here is what the sensor looks like
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...edVehicle=true

Hope this helps you

Massey

Old 10-19-2010, 01:05 PM
Overdrive Member

The 10mm bolt is what holds the sensor to the timing housing, there are 2 of them.

Massey

Old 10-19-2010, 01:20 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Massey
OK first off that is not the right pulley for the Camaro. That is the FWD pulley! It does take a special gear puller tool to take it off the car. The only thing special about the puller is the bolts that go into the 3 holes. As for getting the large bolt out of the middle you will just have to find a way to hold the crank while you break it free or use an impact driver. The threads are normal lefty loosey threads. That pulley should work for the car if it has the 18X and 3X reluctor wheels underneath. they are sheet metal (stainless) and they can come out with just a couple of screws (3 or 4 if memory serves me right), and they are indexed so the sensor can determine where #1 cylinder is. Once you get the pulley off you will find a plastic retainer that is held in with 3 pins you just have to kinda pry the ratainer off the pins carefully. you can then remove the bolts holding the sensor in place. Here is what the sensor looks like
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...edVehicle=true

Hope this helps you

Massey
Well, can you look at the picture I posted? Which one of those are the one I'm working with? Sorry, this is new to me.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Overdrive Member

THe crank pulley is the big one that has the big bolt going through the middle and the 3 little holes for the puller. YOu have to get the big bolt off before you can get the pulley off the crank. The sensor can be seen after the pulley is off and then you have to remove the black plastic shield/retainer before you can remove the sensor bolts. THe hardest part of the whole job is getting the pulley off the car.

Massey

Old 10-19-2010, 01:28 PM
Overdrive Member

That guide tells you where the sensor is but gives you instructions on how to change the cam sensor. Ignore that guide it is not right.

Massey

Old 10-19-2010, 02:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Ah, damn... Any recommended way to get this off? Any tools I should know off?

Old 10-19-2010, 03:04 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

to stop the motor from turning over i used a pair of vicegips and put them on the flywheel. on the outer part and didnt need to have them that tight. have to switch sides to tighten. gota take the inspection plate off to get to it and im not sure you can do that on the 6 spd trans. u will need a harmonic balance puller, should be able to rent or buy one at the local parts store.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:20 PM
Overdrive Member

Just the harmonic ballancer puller is the only tool that you will need. Lisle makes the tool but I cannot remember the # of the tool. It is NOT the normal harmonic balancer tool, the bolts are some oddball thread and there is a shoulder on the bolt that helps the process too. The rest of the removal of the sensor can be done with a standard screwdriver and the 10mm bolt.

Massey

Old 10-19-2010, 03:54 PM
4th Gear Member

Here is a pic of the back of the pulley in case you are wondering what it should look like. The front of this pulley looks like the one you posted with the diaghram except the 3 holes are longer. This is the original pulley from a 96 3.8

Attached Thumbnails Update: Still no spark! 96, V6 3.8L.-img00144.jpg   Update: Still no spark! 96, V6 3.8L.-img00145.jpg   Update: Still no spark! 96, V6 3.8L.-img00146.jpg  

Last edited by osduck5; 10-19-2010 at 04:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Update: Still no spark! 96, V6 3.8L.