Update: Still no spark! 96, V6 3.8L.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 11:08 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if i remember right the car will run with a bad cam sensor but will not with a bad crank sensor. if your not getting spark and it wont kick with some starting fluid then its not the fuel. not sure on the 3.8 but should be a pink or pink and white wire for ignition juice. make sure your getting juice to the coils. i would look at the crank sensor.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Overdrive Member

Does your crank pulley still have the sheetmetal wheel that goes into the grooves of the crank sensor? If that is gone then the crank sensor will not know it is being triggered. There should be 2 cogged sheetmetal wheels inside the harmonic balancer that trigger the CKS. Those wheels are used for the hi and low resolution crank position readings. The CMS is only used for injector timing and to assist the PCM in adjusting the ignition timing. It will NOT keep you from starting or running. Fuses like Craby said are also a suggestion but if they are not blown...

Just an idea here is your TPS hooked up? GM built a diagnostics routine into these cars where if you press the gas petal to the floor while trying to start the car it will disable the ignition and fuel systems for diagnostics and troubleshooting. Best not to touch the gas petal at all when starting these cars.

Massey

Old 10-18-2010, 01:39 PM
Overdrive Member

Take a look at this, to start diagnosing a no-start condition:
http://home.comcast.net/~grayman99/m...ic-testing.pdf

Old 10-18-2010, 03:17 PM
3rd Gear Member

I'm on the same boat as you. I swapped coils and no luck icm is next. Good thing is i get them for free.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:38 PM
Overdrive Member

Love the diagnostics chart Liberty. Good referance for anyone with a crank no start issue. IT also covers many different GM engines too!!

Massey

Old 10-18-2010, 09:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Massey
Does your crank pulley still have the sheetmetal wheel that goes into the grooves of the crank sensor? If that is gone then the crank sensor will not know it is being triggered. There should be 2 cogged sheetmetal wheels inside the harmonic balancer that trigger the CKS. Those wheels are used for the hi and low resolution crank position readings. The CMS is only used for injector timing and to assist the PCM in adjusting the ignition timing. It will NOT keep you from starting or running. Fuses like Craby said are also a suggestion but if they are not blown...

Just an idea here is your TPS hooked up? GM built a diagnostics routine into these cars where if you press the gas petal to the floor while trying to start the car it will disable the ignition and fuel systems for diagnostics and troubleshooting. Best not to touch the gas petal at all when starting these cars.

Massey
Very informative information, thanks and thanks to all of you guys who have helped! Your all great. I guess I will replace the CKS again... Thats the last thing that isnt new, lol. I had it replaced about 3 months ago, what could have caused it too go out? And... I don't exactly know what I am looking for, can I take a picture and can you let me know how it looks?

Old 10-19-2010, 12:15 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yes you can. the best way is to open a photobucket accout and download your pictures there, size the pictures at 640 on the big side and you wont have problems posting them on the threads. then copy the img code to your post and the picture should show.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes

The CKS is under the "Crank" right? Here are two pictures at what I'm looking at... Name:  2010-10-19_12-48-46_366.jpg
Views: 2246
Size:  37.6 KB

Last edited by AnalyzeFaith; 10-19-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:21 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i dont have a book for the 3.8 so im sorta in the shade on this one. lol. its under the crank balancer/pulley. massey will respond,,, i hope.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Haha, I am almost positive that's it. My problem is that when I turn it with a ratchet, the whole pulley turns. It doesn't get loose, what can I do?

Edit: I think I found out how to do it, I read this guide. http://www.ehow.com/how_6718639_chan...96-camaro.html Let me give that a try.

Last edited by AnalyzeFaith; 10-19-2010 at 12:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Update: Still no spark! 96, V6 3.8L.