update: '93 Camaro vibrating @ idle only...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 08:30 PM
2nd Gear member
Default update: '93 Camaro vibrating @ idle only...

update: '93 Camaro vibrating @ idle only... like 40 percent out of a 100 % after I got a new drive shaft and a new transmission mount.

It used to vibrate after those 2 repairs at the transmission shop 80 or 90 % of the time.

*You may note that I recently passed California's stringent Smog Emissions program,

So 2 weeks before my car stalled due to a disconnected driveshaft I had put in Cat. Cleaner Catalytic Converter Cleaner and CR2; guaranteed to pass smog;

then added high grade gasoline

I did not go overboard,

But Maybe the Fuel is Being Diluted of The Cleaning Solvents in those 2 Emissions Test products I used?

there are many reasons for a car to vibe only at idle at like a traffic light then resume cleanly and silently and powerfully on acceleration

hoses were good

someone mentioned the exhaust may have a bearing on this vibration which is totally natural-salesman at O'Reilly's said this today

someone else mentioned the throttle body, a job which is like $450 which includes labor at a shop.

I do have old motor mounts

Well, that's the update, I guess I can grin and bear it. Especially after the shop I got an oil leak repair looked at the spark plugs kind of cleaned stuff in the engine area and lowered or raised the idle, I forget which.

By the way, did you know my oil leak repair gave me some translucent (see through oil)? That's probably the best my oil tank has ever been since it was released from the factory, huh?

So, I guess, I have to grin and bear the annoying vibration at idle, it doesn't rumble just vibrates,

*This is important as a preventitive measure:
Does anyone know at which point a 4th gen 93 Camaro with 135,000 miles should replace the motor mounts (that's my Camaro)?

Again if my motor mounts are all there, just old, should they be replaced based on my above make model year and mileage?

You want to avoid getting stalled in the middle of the road with no more tows, and then God forbid causing an accident.

So as a preventive measure we're talking about replacing my motor mounts? when?

By the way:
My last tune up was at Midas 1 year ago,
My transmission was tuned up with transmission service last week, trans. fluid replaced, new gaskets & filters.

*Basically bear the vibrations at idle no big thing?
**Replace old motor mounts as soon as possible to prevent a Stall in a bad area due to broken or warped motor mounts?

Thanks for any constructive advice.

Last edited by CamBigCat; 01-02-2016 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:26 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

old motormounts should not effect performance or the engine idle. they can sag and cause parts to come in contact with the frame or body that it would not normally come in contact with. this can make the natural engine vibration more noticeable. how old are the spark plugs? it would be better if you could keep your questions on a particualar problem or issue in one thread so the overall information on the issue is in one place.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:16 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by craby
old motormounts should not effect performance or the engine idle. they can sag and cause parts to come in contact with the frame or body that it would not normally come in contact with. this can make the natural engine vibration more noticeable. how old are the spark plugs? it would be better if you could keep your questions on a particualar problem or issue in one thread so the overall information on the issue is in one place.
thanks. and I apologize, wont happen again.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:23 PM
2nd Gear member

In answer to your question, they are 12 month old spark plugs that when I got them replaced at Midas as part of a tune up.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:02 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I think I have tried to explain this to you several times. I even posted a picture for you. Motor mounts do not break, The rubber goes bad and you can feel vibrations. That is it, it goes no farther, it gets no worse. If you modified your 3.4 to output about 800 HP you might be at risk but I think it would rip a section of the frame before the motor mount would break.

I serious doubt any trans shop would install a poly mount in your car without you requesting it. The effect of a harder trans mount is well known among trans techs I would have written on the WO "Custom requested harder mount car will vibrate!"

Last edited by Gorn; 01-03-2016 at 08:09 PM.