ugly conv top

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User
Default ugly conv top

is there any way i can stain or dye my top it looks like sht its supposed to be tan to match the interior but its original and looks more white which i think looks gay as hell with the dark green paint

the top is in great shape no leaks no tears well taken care of just really badly faded which is why id prefer not to replace it i also have a 1200$ idea working and cant seem to fit a top in there

Old 11-13-2010, 02:49 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Do you think it is original? 16 years is a pretty old top. I do not think your going to find a convertible top dye because there are so many different types of material used. You going to have to figure out what material it is and find a dye compatible for that material. If you feel brave you can buy everything you need to replace the top correctly for about $350 then do the work yourself.

Black top with a couple of black rally strips would be for the win

Old 11-13-2010, 06:46 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

im trying not to spend the money i know its deff canvas i figure i could dye it and seal it with canvas sealer

Old 11-13-2010, 07:47 PM
2nd Gear member

I did a little searching on detail forums and I saw some recommendations for this stuff.. Plenty of colors to choose from.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...eviver&x=0&y=0

Old 11-13-2010, 08:39 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Soft Top Reviver - Application instructions

Buy Now

Please note: Do not dilute or mix Reviver with any other product! This would seriously impair the product performance and may damage your car.

Ensure that the soft-top is dry and free from grease, dirt and previous waterproof coatings by thoroughly cleaning with Renovo Soft-Top Canvas Cleaner before commencing application.
Unscrew the bottle top and pour Reviver into a suitable container/bowl.
Stir well prior to application
Apply Reviver with a new 5cm/2inch paintbrush using even strokes across the soft-top. It is best to commence application in the centre of the soft-top and as quickly as possible progress towards each side, the front and the back of the soft-top. Wipe excess drips from paintwork, trims and glass with a damp cloth. Do not apply in direct sunlight, as this will cause the Reviver to dry out too quickly and produce an uneven result!
Depending on the condition of the top a litre of Reviver is usually sufficient for two coats on an average size soft-top. It is important to allow Reviver to dry between coats. Always ensure that you have enough Reviver to coat the soft-top completely and that you will not run out half way through application!

Renovo recommends applying at least two coats to achieve greater depth of colour on badly faded tops.

Reviver can also be applied in the same way as above to the fabric on the interior of the top.

Allow the top to dry for approximately three hours, this will depend on the drying conditions. The Reviver may dry out more quickly if it is a warm day and may take longer to dry if it is a damp day! Do not take the car out in rain/wet weather until the Reviver has completely dried.
We advise that to prolong the life of the re-colour provided by Reviver, you should allow 24 hours drying time and then protect it by applying Renovo Ultra Proofer!

Wash out brush in warm soapy water

im thinkin this will work thanx monte
hopefully its gunna be a paint type product thats black and not just designed to work with black im gunna call the company on monday

Last edited by BasicConcepts; 11-13-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:59 PM
2nd Gear member

Cool, hope it's what you needed. If you get it, you should make a thread with pics and stuff. I'm sure other vert owners would be interested in the process.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:12 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

definitely

Old 11-14-2010, 06:25 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

what does that have to do with my top

Old 11-14-2010, 06:32 PM
2nd Gear member

Nothing, that user is spamming different threads with that video. Lame.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

what an ***