General Racing/Tech General talk about Racing or help setting up your car

But It's Just So Ugly.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 11:51 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default But It's Just So Ugly.

Well people i'm at a dilemma. most of ya'll know i've been trying my best to get my IROC to hook up. well a friend has found a 72 gremlin that is already strip ready. It's been tubbed with huge wrinkle wall slicks, drag tires on the front, ford 9 inch rearend with 4.11 gears, roll cage, fuel cell , 350 tranny, headers & custom exhaust, hurst shifter, setup for chevy engines, nice paint job.
. all i would have to get is a stall converter then put my 305 in it. he is willing to buy it from a relative for $1300.00 and
will trade me even for my IROC minus the engine. even tho i know this is a very good deal considering what i would have to pay to get my IROC in the race condition the gremlin is, i'm having a hard time swallowing the idea of racing a gremlin LMAO. Its just so ugly !!! what do ya'll think? sick

Old 07-01-2006, 12:52 AM
Tech Droid
Default RE: But It's Just So Ugly.

Yes it is butt ugly, but it could be fun. Way back, I used to run a "A" Gasser, blown 333" marine Hemi stuffed into a 49 Henry J. That was so ugly it hurt the eyes, but it won a lot of heads up races. But personally, I rather build my own than get one that is all set up.

Old 07-01-2006, 12:59 AM
3rd Gear Member

i feel the same. it's just sometimes i get that i want what i want when i want it attitude and things just ain't happening as fast as i think they should. maybe i'll hold off for a while and see if the wind changes. i bought a dual quad top for my tunnel ram and i got a 3200 stall ordered. it will eventually come together. sick

Old 07-01-2006, 02:05 AM
2nd Gear member

if you do, i dont think there is a gremlin forums,lol, and your iroc is way sweeter looking than a f*ing gremlin

Old 07-01-2006, 12:27 PM
3rd Gear Member

actually there is LOL ... it's called gremlin x. nevertheless if i did decide to trade, it's not my only third gen lol. i would still have a backup if the gremlin thingy didn't work out. i'm a firm believer you can never own too many camaros. my bank account proves it LMAO. sick

Old 07-01-2006, 02:13 PM
4th Gear Member

I don't understand how you are having trouble getting a 3rd gen. with a 305 to hook up. What tires are you using? Any suspension upgrades? These cars can be made to hook pretty easy, I think I have less than $400 in suspension parts, not including my drag radials. BTW if you think tires are bad for your car, go price a set of big slicks for that tubbed out Gremlin and depending on how old the tires on it are you might have to buy new ones almost right away.

Old 07-01-2006, 03:15 PM
3rd Gear Member

it has unbelieveable low end torque. the tires that are on it now are a set of brand new cooper cobra gt 235/60/14. the only suspension upgrades is to the front. lakewood 90/10 drag struts and removal of the front and rear stablizers. after i put the 4:11 and the mini spool i thought i was gonna be reducing the spinning ... but it has gotten alot worse. i have heated them to no end and they still won't bite. i'm not so sure that 8.5 14 inch slicks is gonna help it all that much. i could be wrong. i'm getting some 50/50 's for the rear as well. maybe between the two i'll be able to find some asphalt. been thinking i should put some 15 inch rims on it. maybe the bigger tires will help. either way i've pretty much decided that i can't deal with a freakin gremlin. i guess i would rather lose in an IROC than win in a gremlin. Sick

Old 07-01-2006, 03:32 PM
4th Gear Member

Your biggest problem are your tires. I know you have some work done to the engine but I highly doubt you make over 400 lb/ft of torque, I do and my car hooks very well and is still on stock shocks and springs. 15 inch wheels will be a help because you can use a tire with more sidewall, but it will all be a waist if you do not at least get a set of drag radials. One other thing, regular street radials do not like to heated very much. This is due to them being a different compound that actually gets greasy when hot. A small, short (less than 5 seconds) burnout usually works better.

Old 07-01-2006, 03:47 PM
3rd Gear Member

i have tried short burns, long burns, and no burns at all. have lowered the pressure to 15 pounds . if i finesse it off the line i can keep it from spinning but as soon as i go full throttle it breaks loose. i have no doubt about the tires tho. really not empressed by their quality. have made only a few runs. less than ten and they are getting quite worn atleast one of them is anyways. i seen in your vid how your front end rose while the rear dropped. i don't get anywheres near that kind of action. i get some lift from the front but the back doesn't squat at all. alot of racers have told me that i picked the wrong body to try and drag race. they say that 2nd gens are alot easier to get hooked and theres alot more tricks to them. nevertheless i'm gonna stick with it til it breaks me. sick

Old 07-01-2006, 07:27 PM
2nd Gear member

you could allways get some old springs from a v-6 3rd gen that will help you to get the rear down, do you still have stock LCA's? a nice set of tubulars would help as well.

as JD said its all in the tire you need to go wide, at least a 285/50/15 DR would get you to stick

Quick Reply: But It's Just So Ugly.