time for new motors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 08:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Default time for new motors?

my driver door window is really slow and stops about 3/4 up , then after a few seconds, it goes up about a centimeter, then stops, and i have to repeat that for about a minute for it to go up. time for a new motor. also the passenger window is slow, so should i just replace that one too? i know ebay has relatively cheap motors for camaros. thanks.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:12 PM
4th Gear Member

Sounds like 2 motors are needing replaced. Sometimes, if you push up on the window as it is going up, you can reduce the amount of time it takes to get the window up. Make sure you get new motors and not rebuilt ones. My experience with the rebuilt motors is that they seem to not last as long.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:53 AM
1st Gear Member

I had the same problem, just replace the window motors and you'll be golden.

Just be careful, it can be a pain in the *** to replace it/them. :P

Old 09-21-2009, 01:42 AM

my passanger window goes up slow, dosent stop but its slower then the driver side. I thought i seen a post about a issue with the motor not getting enough power electrically etc and there was a kit for it...i dunno. Am i crazy and should just replace my passenger side motor on my 96 camaro?

Last edited by jsinray@hotmail.com; 09-21-2009 at 01:44 AM. Reason: spelling sux =)
Old 10-24-2009, 06:39 AM
Default window speed

Originally Posted by jsinray@hotmail.com
my passanger window goes up slow, dosent stop but its slower then the driver side. I thought i seen a post about a issue with the motor not getting enough power electrically etc and there was a kit for it...i dunno. Am i crazy and should just replace my passenger side motor on my 96 camaro?
Unless the window is exceptionally slow I would say that this is a normal condition. The drivers window has what they call Express down in the handbook and is a lot faster speed than the passenger side window.

Last edited by Don Crane; 10-24-2009 at 06:41 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-24-2009, 12:13 PM
1st Gear Member

My passenger window is slow also, guess the motor is going, any suggestions where to buy or not buy ?? Also going to check for glue residue because the tint was partially removed when i got the 94 Z28.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:22 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CNCman
My passenger window is slow also, guess the motor is going, any suggestions where to buy or not buy ?? Also going to check for glue residue because the tint was partially removed when i got the 94 Z28.
You can get them at most any auto parts stores. I have bought some rebuilt units but they don't seem to last as long as new ones.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:53 PM
Default My window motor experience

I bought 2 dorman motors 742-101 for about 35.00 each from a site I found with google and now can't remember, they were made in china, but they seem pretty good quality. I also ordered 1 from amazon.com which had the same part number and was cheaper about $25.00. When it came it was in a different dorman box with the exact same part number. It said it was made in korea and seemed to be a little cheesier and cheaper looking motor. It also came with a mounting bracket that the china ones didn't have or need. The china ones came with the screws to use after drilling out the rivets for both the motor and regulator. I followed the shoebox directions on where to drill the holes so the regulator doesn't have to be removed. Instead of doing the relay mod, I used some older twindow-1a modules that I remembered from my alarm install days, I put 1 in each door and they do the relay mod to both doors. They also give 1 touch automotion to both windows in both directions. They handle all the load of the motors and the factory switches only send low current signal. They have built in load protection so you can bypass the thermal shutdowns in the motors too. They also have inputs to connect to an alarm remote for open and close functionality. Now both my windows work great. I had to run a 10 Gauge fused power wire to the battery to hook them up.
The twindow-1a modules I don't think are made any more, but I was able to acquire a few from a parts distributor in california via my friends stereo shop, they don't sell direct to the public. These modules are better then the DEI 529 and 530 module because they control 1 window in both directions and you can put 1 in each door thus solving the wiring distance problem of all the current flowing thru the drivers door.