Thoughts & opinions on mods?? Thanks

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 10:27 PM
3rd Gear Member

Kooks hands down is a better brand, probably the best brand available for fbodies with American Racing Headers being a close second.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:34 PM
2nd Gear member

If you're looking to redo your whole exhaust, call up MS and they'll give you a deal on some Kooks headers + dual exhaust + parts required. Some were getting them for under $2k shipped I believe. Can't beat it.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:46 AM
2nd Gear member

FD thanks for all the help I owe you a lunch or something after having you go back and forth on this thread, lol.

Guitar, maybe a stupid question but I literally woke up and checked on the thread. What does MS stand for?

And since you brought it up. I was wondering what was better, a y-pipe into a single exhaust or true duals? Will I get more power/better gains from a true dual set up? I know it will breath a hell of alot better but I heard sometimes that's a bad thing if you aren't making that much power you can actually slow the car down b/c it's breathing too much.

Thanks

Last edited by Bandit 43; 03-06-2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:44 AM
3rd Gear Member

I want a 20 oz prime rib.

The 3" y pipe flows plenty for stock H/C and mild setups even. True duals are more about sound, are you looking at the TSP duals or the Kooks?

Old 03-06-2012, 11:47 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Bandit 43
FD thanks for all the help I owe you a lunch or something after having you go back and forth on this thread, lol.

Guitar, maybe a stupid question but I literally woke up and checked on the thread. What does MS stand for?

And since you brought it up. I was wondering what was better, a y-pipe into a single exhaust or true duals? Will I get more power/better gains from a true dual set up? I know it will breath a hell of alot better but I heard sometimes that's a bad thing if you aren't making that much power you can actually slow the car down b/c it's breathing too much.

Thanks
Sorry, Maryland Speed. True duals have way better sound. As for flow, you will gain a small amount of power with them, obviously more with more HP, but you generally get them because of the sound. It doesn't slow the car down. I'd get a tune when you get everything just to make sure you're okay, but you will not lose power.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:33 PM
2nd Gear member

FD, only a 20oz prime rib? Lol
Tell you what hopefully I'll sell the maro soon and get the bird on the road then we can get a meet for your lunch. I'll invite some buddies of mine one with a 68' firebird.

I hadn't really been looking into the exhaust yet was trying to decide on some good headers first.
The TSP true dual has a nice price tag attached, but other then that don't know much about it.
The Kooks set up that I saw on the WS6 store looks nice and of course has a hefty price tag to match, but I don't know much about this one either.

Guitar, thanks I will definitely call MS and see what they can offer. I hope it is safe to assume that I can look them up online.

If true duals are the way to go for that beastly sound then that is definitely what I want.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:19 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Bandit 43
FD, only a 20oz prime rib? Lol
Tell you what hopefully I'll sell the maro soon and get the bird on the road then we can get a meet for your lunch. I'll invite some buddies of mine one with a 68' firebird.

I hadn't really been looking into the exhaust yet was trying to decide on some good headers first.
The TSP true dual has a nice price tag attached, but other then that don't know much about it.
The Kooks set up that I saw on the WS6 store looks nice and of course has a hefty price tag to match, but I don't know much about this one either.

Guitar, thanks I will definitely call MS and see what they can offer. I hope it is safe to assume that I can look them up online.

If true duals are the way to go for that beastly sound then that is definitely what I want.
Well headers and exhaust go hand in hand. You need to pick them out at the same time (IMO). The TSP True Duals are good for what they are, a basic dumped unrefined TD system. They aren't anything special, and I'm not sure I'd pay $500 for them considering you could probably get a shop to do that for you locally for the same price or less. They will be loud, drone a lot, and smellier than if run outback. Mean yes, but I think they'd get old after a while.

The Kooks TD system is the most popular for our cars because it simply works. It bolts right up and in some cases has better clearance than stock. While expensive, it is a full stainless TD system with mufflers and tips. For reference, I got quoted $2k for JUST 3" stainless mandrel bent exhaust without mufflers, tips, or headers from a local shop. On the high side probably, but it costs a lot. The Kooks system is a bargain, I just wish there were more options. Personally I want an H pipe (deeper muscle car tone as opposed to X) and Borla mufflers. For the price though, you really can't beat it. Since Kooks headers are $750 to $1k anyways, if you got a package for around $2k or so you'd be making out pretty well. Keep in mind you'll need a Panhard Bar Relocation Kit to run dual 3" pipe out of the back. In that price, MS includes it from what I was told.

TD will sound meaner than a Y pipe for sure under most if not any situation. Their prices online are different from calling, so def. give them a call and just ask about it.

Also, as far as headers go, I bought TSP stainless 1 7/8 a while back and then sold them off (long story short, old car totaled, new car had headers already) before they announced they added a velocity merge spike (flows better). For $500 they are a great buy. Kooks has 1 3/8 to 1 7/8 stepped headers I believe, which as I understand give you the power up top and down low as opposed to 1 3/8 giving you more low end torque and 1 7/8 giving you more high end.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:22 PM
3rd Gear Member

And a coke.... sounds good though

The TSP is dumped before the rear axle, sounds good but will drone inside and on a TA you would need to have fake tips out back for the exhaust valance.

Sound is all preference; I've heard some great y pipe setups (3-4" merge sounds great) that sound better than the TSP duals. But most y pipe setups get real loud and raspy quick

Old 03-06-2012, 03:39 PM
2nd Gear member

FD & Guitar,

Many thanks for helping me out with my questions.
Looks like I'll be saving my pennies and getting the Kooks set up. I will definitely be calling around to try and get the best deal.

FD I'll let you know when the bird is released from captivity (my mothers garage in PA)