A thirty year wait is over

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2023, 06:48 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cochese
That isn't at all a bad idea. Wife brought home a few syringes, that would be perfect for the task. Thanks!
You're welcome and good luck with it,give it some time to soak in.
You might have to turn it a little bit at a time and repeat the process if it's really stuck bad until you can spin it over completely.

Old 09-14-2023, 12:28 PM
Banned

MMO is in the cylinders, I'll pull the head covers if I ever get any movement on the crank. It's stuck good. I know it's early (way early, I absolutely do get that), but I'm not sure this is going to work.

Old 09-14-2023, 01:08 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You can buy cheap bore scopes on amazon. I think I spent 16ish dollars for one. Might be worth it before you pull the head. If the rust is real bad your best off scraping the short block. Everyone has story's of people unlocking motor but the reality is even the ones that get one unlocked tend to have issues in a few thousand miles. Cracked rings, smoking, knocking. Rust is hard, at best it is like running sand through the motor. If you can look in there and you see light rust in two cylinders I would move forward but if the intake valve did not fully seat and the 5 cylinders or more have heavy rust I would just move forward. Used short blocks should not be too hard to find. I know it is more work but I would dread pulling the motor less then I would pulling the heads. My back hurts just thinking about it.

BTW did any oil get to the oil ?

Last edited by Gorn; 09-14-2023 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-14-2023, 03:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gorn
You can buy cheap bore scopes on amazon. I think I spent 16ish dollars for one. Might be worth it before you pull the head. If the rust is real bad your best off scraping the short block. Everyone has story's of people unlocking motor but the reality is even the ones that get one unlocked tend to have issues in a few thousand miles. Cracked rings, smoking, knocking. Rust is hard, at best it is like running sand through the motor. If you can look in there and you see light rust in two cylinders I would move forward but if the intake valve did not fully seat and the 5 cylinders or more have heavy rust I would just move forward. Used short blocks should not be too hard to find. I know it is more work but I would dread pulling the motor less then I would pulling the heads. My back hurts just thinking about it.

BTW did any oil get to the oil ?
Any rust or water you mean? I haven't dropped any oil, but what was on the stick looked fine. If I wanted to be suspicious, maybe a little too good, like it was fresh. I'm going to leave it as is for a full day, come back on Saturday and give it another go.

I think my thought process was, I was prepared for it to not work and to have to rebuild the motor. But once I got it "home," and started working on it, I really just wanted to drive it around even just a little while I took my time and built a motor up. Also, trying to do much more than this on a driveway down the street sucks. There is a thought in the back of my head that I jumped the gun because I waited so long and couldn't foresee another opportunity with the kids about to start college.

Old 09-14-2023, 06:26 PM
4th Gear Member

MMO is in the cylinders, I'll pull the head covers if I ever get any movement on the crank. It's stuck good. I know it's early (way early, I absolutely do get that), but I'm not sure this is going to work.
It may be beyond saving but give it a couple days of soaking.
How are you trying ti turn it over? The starter isn't going to do it you'll need a breaker bar and socket on the crank.
Work it back and forth a little at a time if it moves at all.

Old 09-14-2023, 06:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Y2Keglide
It may be beyond saving but give it a couple days of soaking.
How are you trying ti turn it over? The starter isn't going to do it you'll need a breaker bar and socket on the crank.
Work it back and forth a little at a time if it moves at all.
I was just tightening and loosening the crank bolt, so I bought a flywheel turner. Was concerned I'd break the bolt and give me another problem.

I am keeping my options open, and looking at some used LT1s to swap in, and maybe take this and bore it out and stroke it for future use.

Old 09-14-2023, 07:30 PM
4th Gear Member

I was just tightening and loosening the crank bolt, so I bought a flywheel turner. Was concerned I'd break the bolt and give me another problem.

I am keeping my options open, and looking at some used LT1s to swap in, and maybe take this and bore it out and stroke it for future use.
There are rebuilt motors online for around $2500 plus shipping.
The main shortcoming of the LT1 is that goofy Optispark ignition but internally they are a really tough motor.
My '93 had 222,000 miles on it when I sold it and still ran like a scalded dog.

Old 09-15-2023, 10:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Y2Keglide
There are rebuilt motors online for around $2500 plus shipping.
The main shortcoming of the LT1 is that goofy Optispark ignition but internally they are a really tough motor.
My '93 had 222,000 miles on it when I sold it and still ran like a scalded dog.
Nice color on that one.

I decided I was never going to get enough leverage with the flywheel turner, so I bought a crank turner. Should also keep me from having to put it on jack stands near as much. Win-win.

Old 09-16-2023, 07:54 PM
Banned

Can’t believe I got this far.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_1133.mov (15.56 MB, 7 views)
Old 09-16-2023, 09:56 PM
4th Gear Member
Thumbs up

Can’t believe I got this far.
Well it sounds like you got her loose and turning over that's great!
Before you try to start it get some fresh oil in the motor,something cheap will do because after she starts and runs for a few minutes a couple of times you'll want to change the oil and filter before trying to drive it.
When you get that far you'll want to change the oil and filter again after a few trips around the block to get as much of the rust out as possible.
Then I'd change it again after a couple hundred miles,you want to keep fresh oil in her as much as possible for a while and change that filter with it.

Quick Reply: A thirty year wait is over