Think i screwed through fuel tank..

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 03:15 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

lets see a picture of the amp mounted, it may be your in a spot where the tank is not close.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:24 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Pull out each of the amp screws, one at a time & 'probe' with a long piece of coat hanger or equiv to see if you did nail the tank.

If you did, a sheetmetal screw with a flat washer, coated with Permetex #2 works like a champ for fixing oops like that. (I've traveled the ALCAN a couple of times!),

It's important that there be no hole at the top of the tank where vapor can escape uncontrolled. This fuel system always has a slight bit of positive pressure in it, and vapor is what burns....

Old 08-12-2012, 03:55 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jim in Indy
and vapor is what burns....
Actually, gas liquid burns. Gas vapor explodes...

But to the OP, don't worry about it exploding. Just don't make any sparks or flames IF it's leaking vapor.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I went through the holes with a paper clip, only in one hole is it deep enough that it will fit the whole clip in, the rest im hitting the top of the tank with, and will bend the clip.

heres a pic:

top right one

About sealing it up, what exactly is a sheet metal screw?

Here is the one i used to drill the hole:

Another question, when sealing this up, should i use a long enough screw that will screw into the gas tank itself and fill the hole in it, or use a small one just to plug up the hole in the red hump metal? Will a screw sticking into the gas tank hurt anything?

Last edited by wildcat123; 08-12-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:16 PM
2nd Gear member

O man, thats hella close to where the front of the tank drops off, u may be ok.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:20 PM
2nd Gear member

SEaling the red hump is just going to stop any fumes Coming in the cockpit

Old 08-12-2012, 06:25 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The last thing you want to put in your tank is another screw. The screw will rust. Once you get rust in your fuel system you pretty much have to replace everything all the way to the fuel injectors.

Don't use RTV sealer it is NOT rated to work with Gas and it is not rated to work in a pressure/vacuum without a gasket to support it. Just about every parts store carries fuel tank repair kits. They are two part epoxy and they are stronger then the metal tank itself. As far apart as those holes are you should really think about removing the tank or figure a way to cut small access hole about 1" in diameter right over each hole that needs repairs. Maybe a metal cutting hole saw with a hose clamp on it to make sure you do not cut into the tanks.

FYI liquid gas will not burn, only the vapors burn. They explode when they are confind in a small area and can not expand.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:11 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

looks like the ones toward the front of the car are clear of the tank.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:24 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by craby
looks like the ones toward the front of the car are clear of the tank.
Then what's below those holes that he's hitting and bending the paper clip with? The tank is under those holes, and you might just be missing the hole with the clip. Doesn't really matter how many hit or missed though, you know at least one went through, and that means fixing the tank. Lowering the tank down is the right way to fix it at this point, and to be sure there really aren't any more holes. Notice I said "lower". You won't have to remove the tank completely to gain access to the top to fix it.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:32 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

pressure test the tank.

Quick Reply: Think i screwed through fuel tank..