Was there ever a true LT1 in a '94 Z28?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 06:38 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Was there ever a true LT1 in a '94 Z28?

I'm still looking for a 4th gen Z28 or SS and a guy has one up the street for sale. He says it was a fully tuned vette Lt1, not the dumbed down version found typically in the Camaro. He claims this option was available with a hard top car due to body flex. It is a 6 speed and he swears by this info. This thing is a beast. Anybody know if he's pulling my leg?

(btw, my 1997 V6 needs too much to fix, putting it up on Craigs list for $500-$1000....gonna miss that car)

Old 10-07-2010, 07:10 PM
1st Gear Member

It's possible that he installed a lt1 out of a corvette, people put the corvette motor in a camaro a lot for various reasons. The main difference I found is that the corvette motor has a 4 bolt main while the camaro has a 2 bolt main

Old 10-07-2010, 07:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I agree, but he claims this was ordered from the factory like this. He says it was not swapped. I rode in the car with him and this thing is maybe a bit too much car for me. It kicks sideways going into 3rd with no effort.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:59 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yep, the vette lt1 is the same motor as the camaro except the 4 bolt main. some camaro's were equiped with a 4 bolt main block when the factory ran out of the 2 bolt blocks. keep in mind the vettes were always a year or two ahead of the camaro. the 92 vette had the same lt1 setup at the 93 camaro. then in 93 the vette got an improved lt1 setup. better exhaust, better intake. lt4 very well could have been an option.

Last edited by craby; 10-07-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If it was some kind of factory option it would have to have a option code. The only performance code I am aware of is the LE1. If it is a LE1 its worth big money. I am not sure what other option it would be. LE1 Camaro would be setup like a race car, No Radio, Manual windows, Very few option it was also only availible with a hard top.

The LE1 should be on the options list. There where only a 135 LE1 built in 1994.

If it is a LE1 its not a REAL Lt1, The real LT1 was the base LT1 the LE1's have custom heads/cam and I think forged piston. I think it was a step up from the vet motor.

http://www.camarosource.ca/php/camar....php?year=1994

Old 10-07-2010, 09:43 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

wow was lloyd elliott was around then? lol learned my something new today.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:46 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks Gorn for the option code advice. After looking up the codes, I know where to find them and which ones to look for. It could be the B4C police package if there were any in 1994. I'm still leaning towards the engine swap theory, but if this does turn out to be a rare 4th gen Z, I'll keep you posted. He wants nearly nothing for the car, he is moving out of state and just wants a quick sale. IMO burgundy is an un-inspired color for a sports car, if I buy it, I'm painting it another color. The clear coat is peeling anyway.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:55 AM
Two Cylinders Short of Win

I expect a response from Chaotic regarding Burgundy shortly

Old 10-09-2010, 10:14 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Put on your hip-waders, I think that seller is trying to sell you a line of crap.
As far as I was aware, the Camaro and Vette Lt1 were the same engine with the performance differences coming from the Vette's 2 cat converters and a better intake plenum (we're talking same year comparisons). A 2 or 4 bolt main difference between the Camaro and Vette, can someone confirm that? Looking at engine specs, the Z28 refers it's LT1 application to the "P" VIN code of the car, which coincidentally so does my Vette. The LT1 that was put in the Impala and Buick is a dumbed-down version, and also had cast iron heads. Could be that the seller is too dumb to understand what he has. I've seen morons selling a Z28 with a "Vette" motor, just because it has the "special" LT1 that only came in the Vette. Duh!

Old 10-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Camaro 69, we have talked about the Vett 4 bolt thing a few times. I think we even have one memeber that has the 4 bolt over stock engine in his Camaro. I thought that most of the "over stock" 4 bolts where in the 96-97's.

The B4C package was a big deal in the Caprice cause it stepped it up to the Camaro type motor. In the Camaro it does not do much if anything to the motor. Infact because B4C cars where only sold to police you will find at most auctions the B4C will hurt the value of a Camaro because of its most likey use, High speed chases.

Just a FYI early Hard top 6 speed LT1's are not rare. I have one in my driveway. A lot people that bought the 6 speed planed on running it. The body flex caused by t-tops in the second a third gens was well known. The 4th gen t-tops are much better then the the older models but very few Camaro fans where buying that statement without proof. 6 speed LS1 cars without t-tops are harder to find.

Quick Reply: Was there ever a true LT1 in a '94 Z28?