Terrible sputter hesitation!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 07:55 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by shorkey
hmm well they put the Ac Delco replacement. I dont know if it has the hoses ...Ill check that tonight.If its not positive vented, can I add hoses myself?
thanks for the reply
You need to drill out the existing small drain holes at the bottom of the opti and attach fittings to it.....while it's off the engine. Since yours is now new, theoretically it should last quite a while before having problems. Your original opti lasted how long? The vent is just an extra safeguard which draws moisture out to help prevent problems, which is why GM updated it.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
You need to drill out the existing small drain holes at the bottom of the opti and attach fittings to it.....while it's off the engine. Since yours is now new, theoretically it should last quite a while before having problems. Your original opti lasted how long? The vent is just an extra safeguard which draws moisture out to help prevent problems, which is why GM updated it.
Good to know. Well the ex owner apparently never changed it so it lasted 16 years although the car only has 90000KM (approx 56000 miles). Well I think Ill leave it like this for now and be carefull.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by shorkey
Good evening everybody

Well I did research before posting and so I would think my problem is the optispark. When warm she will sputter and hesitate terribly on acceleration, even light acceleration. I have to accelerate very slowly not to get the problem. Check engine light is NOT coming on. She did this to me once the other night and drove fine yesterday and this morning. Got stuck in heavy traffic this evening and when I went to accelerate the problem occured and was present the entire drive home. So does this sound like an Opti Spark problem? I will take her to a garage in the next few days but would like a heads up. I use to work on my carb cars but will leave injection to the pros. Also, what are you guys experience with small garages in regards to the opti spark? Is this the kind of thing that only the stealership can take care of?

P.S: The cat converter is empty so no its not blocked.

Thanks for any help!
Wow that sounds exactly like the problem my friend is having with his car (1994 z28, auto). So you said its the opti huh? I thought it might be the transmission. How much did you pay the dealer if I might ask? I wonder if we could change it ourselves?

Old 06-20-2009, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by xxRONNIExx
Wow that sounds exactly like the problem my friend is having with his car (1994 z28, auto). So you said its the opti huh? I thought it might be the transmission. How much did you pay the dealer if I might ask? I wonder if we could change it ourselves?
Yes the problem was the opti. It cost me an arm and a leg at the stealership (1500$) witch included a rad flush...I didnt want to go there but local garages in my area directed me to the dealer for my problem...at least the new opti is guaranteed 1 year...by the way thats 1500$ Canadian so it woul be less in American$

Old 06-20-2009, 12:42 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yes u can do it urself. cost would be 4 to 600 depending on what opti u got. good idea to change water pump when u do the opti. if the pump goes it can ruin the opti. so thats another couple hundred for a new good water pump.

Last edited by craby; 06-20-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:28 PM

If it is the opti can someone point me in the right direction as to where to get one? Any good online stores?

Old 06-20-2009, 05:50 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sumitt or jegs ussually have some decent prices. do not get a rebuilt one. its tempting but they are not the best quality and some do not last long. msd or the gm performance are good optis and last. i had a gm performance in my last z and it went for 100k with no problems.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by craby
sumitt or jegs ussually have some decent prices. do not get a rebuilt one. its tempting but they are not the best quality and some do not last long. msd or the gm performance are good optis and last. i had a gm performance in my last z and it went for 100k with no problems.
Thanks

Old 06-23-2009, 02:27 AM
In the Staging Lanes

How much did it cost to have them replace it? I'm having almost the exact same problem.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by chadillac4110
How much did it cost to have them replace it? I'm having almost the exact same problem.

Well like I said, the total parts and labour was 1500$ wich included a rad flush. Stealership of course...

Quick Reply: Terrible sputter hesitation!