Terrible sputter hesitation!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 05:34 PM
Default Terrible sputter hesitation!

Good evening everybody

Well I did research before posting and so I would think my problem is the optispark. When warm she will sputter and hesitate terribly on acceleration, even light acceleration. I have to accelerate very slowly not to get the problem. Check engine light is NOT coming on. She did this to me once the other night and drove fine yesterday and this morning. Got stuck in heavy traffic this evening and when I went to accelerate the problem occured and was present the entire drive home. So does this sound like an Opti Spark problem? I will take her to a garage in the next few days but would like a heads up. I use to work on my carb cars but will leave injection to the pros. Also, what are you guys experience with small garages in regards to the opti spark? Is this the kind of thing that only the stealership can take care of?

P.S: The cat converter is empty so no its not blocked.

Thanks for any help!

Old 06-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

It might help to know the year. Is it pre-1996 by chance?
I have a 92 Vette with the LT1 and it has a bad opti. But it chugs all the time, cold or hot engine. My check engine light flashed on once and has been off since. Checking the codes, it had two stored, and it showed a low res ignition issue (distributor related), and a rich left bank (from the ignition misfire). Just waiting for the time to slap on my MSD unit.
If your opti is bad, and not working correctly with a hot engine, I would expect it to also be bad with a cold engine. You might want to check and clean your air intake sensors first. Use a spray MAF sensor cleaner, it works well. Then check all your wiring, ignition harness and connections, etc.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
It might help to know the year. Is it pre-1996 by chance?
I have a 92 Vette with the LT1 and it has a bad opti. But it chugs all the time, cold or hot engine. My check engine light flashed on once and has been off since. Checking the codes, it had two stored, and it showed a low res ignition issue (distributor related), and a rich left bank (from the ignition misfire). Just waiting for the time to slap on my MSD unit.
If your opti is bad, and not working correctly with a hot engine, I would expect it to also be bad with a cold engine. You might want to check and clean your air intake sensors first. Use a spray MAF sensor cleaner, it works well. Then check all your wiring, ignition harness and connections, etc.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I forgot to mention what year I have. She's a 93 Z28 pretty much stock. Well Im going to go check my sensors and wiring. Plus maybe give her a test drive to see if the problem is there all the time now or only after long driving. I mentioned when hot but what I mean is the problem occured both times after long driving.
However the first time, it actually occured after I stopped for gaz. I put Shell VPower witch is 91 octane and is what she is supposed to take. So thats probalby a coincidence...

Old 06-16-2009, 07:14 PM

Fuel pump going out possibly?

Old 06-16-2009, 07:43 PM

Well I checked and didnt see any wires that looked cut or damaged ...nothing seemed disconnected or even dirty!
Took her for a long test drive. Problem was there even when cold. She will sputter and lack power under acceleration especially when Im all ready in 2nd gear. However if I floor it when the sputtering occurs, she accelerates out of the sputtering and will accelerate very fast like she is suppost to...But any normal acceleration or heavy without flooring acceleration will sputter..

Let me know if this sounds like the poti or not.

I work in the auto industry and this doesnt seem like the fuel pump...I could be wrong however...and

Old 06-18-2009, 07:02 PM

Well turns out it was the Opti...My local stealership replaced it.
Now I have a question: If getting the opti wet is a bad thing, should I drive the least possible in the rain or am I ok to drive in the rain?

Thanks

Old 06-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

It's fine driving it in the rain, but not OK to forge across a river.
Your opti is the old, non-vented style. The newer, 1994.5 style is positive vented with hoses that go to the intake manifold and intake plenum. That helps to draw moisture out of the opti unit, which is something the old ones don't have, but should. Too bad you weren't able to replace the opti yourself, because they make an update vent kit for the old style opti. Unless they did that for you at the stealership?

Old 06-19-2009, 01:11 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the other ? is did they use a rebuilt opti?

Old 06-19-2009, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by craby
the other ? is did they use a rebuilt opti?
Well they put the AC Delco replacement opti witch is guaranteed one year witch if Im not mistaken is brand new...

Old 06-19-2009, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
It's fine driving it in the rain, but not OK to forge across a river.
Your opti is the old, non-vented style. The newer, 1994.5 style is positive vented with hoses that go to the intake manifold and intake plenum. That helps to draw moisture out of the opti unit, which is something the old ones don't have, but should. Too bad you weren't able to replace the opti yourself, because they make an update vent kit for the old style opti. Unless they did that for you at the stealership?
hmm well they put the Ac Delco replacement. I dont know if it has the hoses ...Ill check that tonight.If its not positive vented, can I add hoses myself?

thanks for the reply

Quick Reply: Terrible sputter hesitation!