TB sticking!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 03:26 PM
2nd Gear member
Default TB sticking!

Everything is clean so that isn't the problem. The TB was on when I purchased the car last year, now that I have all my other problems solved and the car is running top this is the only thing left that is bothering me. It will stick and that will keep the rpm's up depending on the position of the blades. If I'm idle at home I'll just pop the hood and push the arm back containing the throttle cable and it goes back to normal, obviously catching.

I can also see a small line/groove where the blades constantly catch/stick. I've always cleaned with carb cleaner and it never helps. The other route I think I'm going to go in a last effort to fix this is hook it up to my laptop. I'll adjust the stop screw while watching the voltage on the TPS to make sure that it stays within correct range. If I can find a spot where the blades no longer stick and it still in TPS voltage range I believe that should work. But, if not then what else could I do besides dealing with it until I get a new one? Not a major problem, just bothersome and annoying.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:59 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Does it stick no matter what the temperature is outside? I see you have your TB coolant bypassed, which is there to prevent the throttle blade from freezing and sticking in the cold weather. That could just be a coincidence though.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:08 PM
2nd Gear member

Yea regardless of temp or how clean it may be the blades still catch and stick...was told that the TB is suppose to have some sort of finish/film over it in order to keep the blades from sticking to it. But since this part has been on for quite some time there is no sort of finish or film remaining and it constantly sticks. ???

Old 01-31-2012, 04:13 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

does it stick in 1 particular position or anywhere

Old 01-31-2012, 04:17 PM
2nd Gear member

It seems to be one particular spot, as every time I've taken it off there is a line/groove which looks to be worn where they keep catching. Once before I took some fine emory paper to buff it out and maybe smooth out the surface where it was catching, that didn't work either. Since they're closing all the way I mentioned the process in the first post. Using the stop screw and watching the TPS volts and trying to find a range where it doesn't stick and the TPS volts are still within specs...

P.S. Nice quote in ur sig BC lol

Old 01-31-2012, 04:22 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

if i were you id go to the junkyard and grab another tb... are you sure its not the throttle cable maybe its got a kink in it that catches somewhere

lol and i thought the quote was pretty funny

Old 01-31-2012, 04:24 PM
2nd Gear member

Pretty sure it's the blades sticking...the cable is fine no problems. All the pull-a-part locations and junkyards are usually stripped of 4th gens, hard to come by.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:25 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

look for a caprice or roadmaster

Old 01-31-2012, 04:39 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User
Old 02-01-2012, 06:35 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

not supposed to clean the coating off the tb. its there to keep the butterflies from sticking. the butterflies should not be closed all the way, should be open just a tad. may be a good time to pick up a new 52mm tb.

Quick Reply: TB sticking!