Suspension and lowering problems '95/'98

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Overdrive Member

Did you go with the SensaTrac (what I had and sucked) or the lesser Monroe? The other thing is the Monroes may not be built to support lowering spring rates...

You have to run bumpstops, unless you want lots of trouble. You are supposed to hit the bumpstop before anything on the body -- that is their purpose.

You can experiment with spacers too, they go under the bumpstops:
http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...46&BIG=80046-1

Old 10-04-2010, 10:49 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If you have hardly nothing between the tire and fender then you're going to have to get something in there to give you that room. Either some spring perch spacers which I don't know if there are any aftermarket, had mine made up by a local metal shop. You need to check if you have the rubber thing on top of your springs, that would give you about an 1" or so, which would get you riding level it sounds like. If you have those in then I don't know what to tell you. I think it's pretty obvious you need different shocks back there.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:46 PM

yeah i bought these aftermarket shocks because it said that they are good for lowering springs. and the spring isolators are in there. i read a forum where a guy put in plywood inbetween the spring and isolator for a temp fix. and he said it worked out so well that he just left it up in there. i think im gonna try that and see if that fixes it. i dont know what else i can do. this is really frustrating. i would jump hills in my '98 and it would hit the subframe on the ground before it would bottom out. i'll see if i can return these shocks. do you have any suggestions for some good shocks??

Old 10-05-2010, 12:01 AM
Overdrive Member

WHICH shocks specifically do you have? Sounds like they are no good for your application...

Check your Eibach spring part #, if they're different from what SLP sells, you may want to get single adjustable Konis, otherwise get some SLP Bilsteins:

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...th=236_252_352

Don't forget an alignment...

Old 10-05-2010, 03:34 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I'm running poor mans shocks KYB, but I think they're good stuff.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:23 AM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

monroe shocks suck and the sportline springs compress way to quickly and cause issues, i think if the panhard bar is bent thats the first problem if not then the choice of spring and shock brand was just not the behst choice, the sportlines have even been known to compress on one side faster than the other

Old 10-05-2010, 12:22 PM
Overdrive Member

Problem with KYB is they are crude adjustable, but you change dampening and rebound with the same turn -- not ideal.

According to Sam Strano, Bilsteins are better made than KYBs.

In fact, the OP should REALLY phone Strano and discuss his suspension goals:
http://stranoparts.com If you order from him, you will get a lot of really valuable advice, which you do need.

Originally Posted by greenarrow
I'm running poor mans shocks KYB, but I think they're good stuff.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Try putting wheel spacers on the rear.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:10 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Problem with KYB is they are crude adjustable, but you change dampening and rebound with the same turn -- not ideal.

According to Sam Strano, Bilsteins are better made than KYBs.

In fact, the OP should REALLY phone Strano and discuss his suspension goals:
http://stranoparts.com If you order from him, you will get a lot of really valuable advice, which you do need.
I know there are better stuff out there, but for some reason they are working pretty good for me right now. I will upgrade later on down the road with either QA's or bilsteins or really thinking about air ride.

Originally Posted by BRADLS1
Try putting wheel spacers on the rear.
That's not going to help his problem at all.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:31 PM
Overdrive Member

QA1's SUCK for handling -- ONLY good for straightlines -- dragstrip!

Originally Posted by greenarrow
I know there are better stuff out there, but for some reason they are working pretty good for me right now. I will upgrade later on down the road with either QA's or bilsteins or really thinking about air ride.

That's not going to help his problem at all.

Quick Reply: Suspension and lowering problems '95/'98