supercharger for 3.8

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 11:24 PM
Default supercharger for 3.8

i have a 95 camaro v6 3.8. i just bought a supercharger from a friends friend for $110. its in good condition and got a friend to look at it and said it was good. I want to know what do i need to install it cause i wanna put it on asap b4 i waste my money. i dont have any pictures yet but i will. also i wanna know how much boost it can handle on a stock engine. any more info u got tell me plz. thanks

Old 01-04-2009, 11:40 PM
Ninja Administrator
Default RE: supercharger for 3.8

8psi with a tune. u could maybe go a little higher but i wouldnt push it.

what kind of SC is it?

Old 01-04-2009, 11:41 PM
2nd Gear member

a supercharger for 110 bucks? is it made outta cardboard and duct tape?

Old 01-04-2009, 11:49 PM
Overdrive Member

It's probably from a Grand Prix GTP. I hate to tell you guy, but if it from a 3.8 engine that was supercharged (L67), you will have a bit of modifying to do before it will fit.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:55 PM

well a friend had it..he bought it wit a camaro already installed. but then he didnt have money so he solded it. its a m90 i believe. where can i get the missing parts from. what parts do i need cause i need this on asap..whats a rough estimate on how much money i will need.tune? where can i get that from?

Old 01-05-2009, 12:07 AM
Overdrive Member

New heads, lower intake manifold, new fuel rail and injectors, modifications to the front belt assembly will more than likely be needed, the intake will need to be modified, if you want it to run right yes you will need a tune,and willneed to modify the cowl (sothe blower will fit).What's the big rush? I wouldn't be rushing this install, as it is pretty much all custom. Only one person has done it, that I am aware of. For this tune I would go to a dyno shop.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:14 AM

oh when it came wit the intake manifold and the injectors(missin two) and fuel rail...where can i get the intake pipin cuz i know the throttle bottle is in the front and the sc has it in the back.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:27 AM
Overdrive Member

You have it custom made. I would make friends with your local speed shop, or someone who can do this kind of work. I'm not sure what sidethe thermostat is located on that manifold, so you may also need to get a new radiator hose.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:16 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I think everyone who has a V-6 has either done the research or ask the question. What about the factory supercharger? Trust me if it was worth the work involved you would see a stickty on this forum for it. Even if you have that complete supercharged car for free it would cost you more to convert it to your Camaro then it would cost to buy a aftermarket bolt on kit. Look at where the MAF of the superchagersensor is related to you intake. Now go pop your hood. That MAF sensor will be right about where your radio is. To get it to work you have to just aboutMAKE A NEW INTAKE. I mean the part that made right on the supercharger. Not the CAI. I know of one guy that did it. He did it for braging rightseven he said it was not worth it. Almost every bracket has to be custom. Unless you are a fabricator with machine shop capibilties the cost will be in the thousands.

I think for about $2800 you could buy the a supercharger and the partsto do aboltons toyour car. But even that is not worth it. Your better off doing the LT1 convertion and an LT4 upgrade for about the same price and have a much faster car when done.

I am a little surprised no one jumped all over you for this post. Normally when someone new joins and asked this question they get jump about the search function. This is the most ask newbee question on any 4th genCamaro forum. I think it may be because you actually spent money on it.

Oh and your buddy knew this when he dumped that supercharger on you, Hopfully you can find another sucker to dump it on.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:27 PM

well dang that sucks didnt know it would be that hard. the only thing i need to do is get the custom intake think dont i? and tune and all that other stuff but the main is the custom part. well how much would it cost for a v8 swap? i'm 17 thats why i just wanted to supercharge a v6 cuz where am i gonna get that much money to swap for a v8.

Quick Reply: supercharger for 3.8