sunroof?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 12:01 AM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club
Default sunroof?

So I was sitting in the camaro today with the AC on full blast during the 90 degree heat today, and I looked up while at a red light. I thought to myself "I wish I had a t-top car...." Then another thought came, miniature sunroofs. Instead of t-tops, has anyone heard of putting two small sunroofs in a camaro?

Old 05-17-2008, 02:41 AM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: sunroof?

never heard of it.... buuuuuut, im sure it would cost alot of money lol I know i wouldnt want to start cutting into my roof. You would have to do a hell of alot of work to get everything to fit up there and function properly.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:18 AM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

Actually, it really ain't that bad, I know how to do it.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:03 AM
4th Gear Member

.... you think you know how to do it...go ahead... but dont ever plan on selling you car again

Old 05-17-2008, 10:19 AM
4th Gear Member

i mean think about it. you have to first find two pieces of glass you can use and then use them as a templet to cut into your roof. Then you have to figure out a way to mount the rails if you want these sunroofs to move and if you want them to be mechanical you have to wire them too. Then you have to weatherstrip the whole thing so it doesnt leak when its closed. But seriously i want T-tops too. but our cars have HUGE windows, justroll them down! If you start cutting into your car and putting bolts and screws into your roof something is bound to go wrong and believe me no one is going to want to buy a car thathas custom sunroofs, especially ones that were madeby a kid. Theres just too much that could go wrong and then youd be royally screwed because youd have to get new fiberglass put in and then have itpreped to and painted.. then your gonna realize the paint they used isnt the same color as your car so youll have to repaint the whole car just toget it to match again and by then youve spend thousands of dollars just to get sunroofs thatyou wont be able to use more than3 or 4 months out of the year... (believe me i live in washington and 3-4 is even pushing it.. it rains like every other week.. even during the summer)

Old 05-17-2008, 10:31 AM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

What's with you raggin on me all the time? It really ain't that bad. I'm talking pop-out sunroofs. No electrical junk. I had a corolla with a sunroof, and I had it open almost everyday, only closing it if it was starting to rain. It was a generic universal kit. Sunroof's make the car more open inside. I just wanted to know if anyone had seen a camaro or bird with two little sunroofs. I've never seen them that small before. They would leak less than t-tops, that's for sure.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:21 AM
3rd Gear Member

pop up sun roofs are gay, have fun finding glass to match the curve of the roof.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:23 AM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

That's not my question, I just wanted to know if anyone had done it. I take it as no.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:32 AM
3rd Gear Member

To be honest with ya, (I hate to admit it), but Sparty is somewhat correct. Anytime you cut into your roof, you are compromising the structural integrity of your vehicle. I gurantee, they will leak. Maybe not now, or tommorow but they will leak.

I do though, admire your conviction on doing what you want. We all have to start somewhere. I remember the first time I changed oil as a kid. It was on a Ford Bronco (I think) and I really had no idea on what I was doing. But I tried it, it never leaked and there was no problems. Now, I have a garage full of tools, I just finished the removal, rebuild and install of the engine in my camaro. What I am trying to get at is. If you wanna try something, try it. Just dont be upset if you fail and the turnout is undesirable.

Just do it, who cares what someone else says.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:33 PM
The Jazz Man
ROTM Winner's Club

This is useless to me, I just wanted to know if it had been done.

It would not affect structural integrity because I was thinking two little sunroofs, with the piller in the center in tact, just where the two panels are. Honestly, I'm not going to do it, I could, but I won't. I like coupes. Plus I would have to get rid of my new racing stripes.

I just wanted to see if someone had done it. I've heard of people making a coupe into a t-top, and making a coupe into a glass top, but I've never seen one with two little glass panels. Just thought it would be something interesting.

Quick Reply: sunroof?