Sugar in Gas Tank?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 08:25 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I can not think of anything they could put in your gas that would set a check engine light but let the car still run ok.Most likely its just a coincident. Most people will just leave you a note, on your fender, with a key a lot less chance of getting caught. Standing at the back of someones car will a funnel will attact attention.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:36 AM
4th Gear Member

I say just coincident and maybe a little paranoid!

Old 10-24-2010, 08:40 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Massey
about the only thing the sugar will do is plug up the filter inside the tank. It will not desolve directly in gas you would have to put some water in the tank then use Heat to remove the water but you are asking for problems if you do it that way. The CEL is prolly on because the cap was loose and your engine thinks it has a leak in the EVAP system. The code will not clear on its own, not for like 50+ test cycles.

Massey
A bottle of dry gas won't hurt things though. The ethanol in the gas attracts water to the fuel. Fuel system cleaner wouldn't be a bad idea either, just to be on the safe side and clear out and gumming that's already in there

Old 10-24-2010, 09:44 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
you have an OBD2 car. Go to the local parts store and get the code read for free.
Actually I just got back from Autozone. They told me that they can only scan for the Check Engine light not the SES light...I told them to hand over the OBD2 reader and let me scan the damn car. They wouldn't do that either. According to the idiot at the counter OBD2 readers can only scan for check engine lights....ugh....morons....

Old 10-24-2010, 09:50 AM
Overdrive Member

[Quote:chsxfireems]
A bottle of dry gas won't hurt things though. The ethanol in the gas attracts water to the fuel. Fuel system cleaner wouldn't be a bad idea either, just to be on the safe side and clear out and gumming that's already in there [/Quote]

You would need to put the water in the tank to disolve the sugar first. Sugar will not disolve much in the gas, not enough to cause any problems. But with water it will desolve, add the Heat which will make the water burnable and along with it carry the sugar. In a FI engine you will get clogged injectors and fuel filters at best. In a carby engine you will get a sludge in the bottom of the carb that can really mess up your day, and the day after that, and the following day... OK you get the picture. If you really want to mess someone's engine up use Molassas or corn suryp not sugar.

Get the codes checked I am going to bet it is not as bad as you think.

Massey

Old 10-24-2010, 09:52 AM
2nd Gear member

Then go to a different store and if they give you a similar story, tell them that the SES is a check engine light.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:54 AM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by luciora
Actually I just got back from Autozone. They told me that they can only scan for the Check Engine light not the SES light...I told them to hand over the OBD2 reader and let me scan the damn car. They wouldn't do that either. According to the idiot at the counter OBD2 readers can only scan for check engine lights....ugh....morons....

You are kidding right? I would complain to this moron's manager and then find a new part store to shop at. I recomend O'Reilly or Advance, I have worked for both companys and they are top notch on the training you get. I wont work for AZ because of the people there I have had the pleasure of dealing with to find parts. I get customers from the AZ store 2 miles away complaining to me about the idiots down there.

Massey

Old 10-24-2010, 11:36 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

You are kidding right? I would complain to this moron's manager and then find a new part store to shop at. I recomend O'Reilly or Advance, I have worked for both companys and they are top notch on the training you get. I wont work for AZ because of the people there I have had the pleasure of dealing with to find parts. I get customers from the AZ store 2 miles away complaining to me about the idiots down there.

Massey
i guess its the area because here advance is horrible the guys are dumb and it always takes like 20 min to get outta there autozone has always been good to me here and in ny (i used to work at AZ in ny and i was the only one there that wasnt ase certified) oreillys tho is a great store to go to there smart and quick plus i love the rewards at az i buy parts for customers cars there and get free oil changes

Old 10-24-2010, 11:48 AM
4th Gear Member

Autozone sucks here. Advance has cheapo parts but the people working there at least know what I'm talking about most of the time.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:58 PM
2nd Gear member

Massey
It was the General Manager ( store manager ) that I dealt with that said it couldn't be scanned.

Quick Reply: Sugar in Gas Tank?