Sugar in Gas Tank?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 11:15 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Sugar in Gas Tank?

Okay so I was on my way to the gas station. When I got there I opened my gas door and my gas cap was barely on, almost off. I'm back in town visiting my parents, ( same town where I had problems with my girlfriends ex messing with my car ). Well on my way to the gas station my check engine light came on? Okay it's raining maybe one of the sensors got wet. Well my question is, if someone did put something in my gas tank. For the sake of argument, lets say sugar. I've been told that sugar wont' do much to a fuel injected motor, is this true? If someone did mess with my fuel tank, how much trouble am I looking at? Or am I just paranoid and it's probably something simple like low fluids or something. If it was sugar in the fuel, would that throw codes and be detectable before it causes too much damage? Hopefully its not too bad I don't want my insurance rates to rise. At least last time this kid screwed with my car I didn't have to pay to fix it. Insurance covered it all, I'm rambling I'll shut up now. Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:20 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Locking gas caps are a cheap investment to prevent that sort of thing. If somebody wants to steal your gas, they'll just cut the lines/filler neck. But a locking cap may deter some dumb vandal.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:36 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by chsxfireems
Locking gas caps are a cheap investment to prevent that sort of thing. If somebody wants to steal your gas, they'll just cut the lines/filler neck. But a locking cap may deter some dumb vandal.
Thanks for the advice but it's a little too late if he did mess with my tank.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:44 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

shoulda done it after the first time. a lose gas cap will show a ses light.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:13 AM
Overdrive Member

What a bunch of childish nonsense -- don't people have better things to do with their time?! Yes, a locking gas cap is a good idea. In fact, I think all gas tank door's should open from a button inside the cars ONLY -- should be standard on ALL cars, IMHO.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:15 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by craby
shoulda done it after the first time. a lose gas cap will show a ses light.
The first time he just egged my car. Also I tightened the gas cap before leaving the gas station and the SES light didn't go off. So I'm wondering what else it could be.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:20 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by luciora
The first time he just egged my car. Also I tightened the gas cap before leaving the gas station and the SES light didn't go off. So I'm wondering what else it could be.

you should get him back. haha maybe throwing rocks to his windshield

Old 10-24-2010, 12:52 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Jerry95lt1
you should get him back. haha maybe throwing rocks to his windshield
Nah nah nah. I'm not one for revenge but if I wanted to get him back I would take a floor jack, jack up the side of his mini-van and push it over onto its side. But I won't resort to childish nonsense, I'll handle it legally.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:37 AM
Overdrive Member

about the only thing the sugar will do is plug up the filter inside the tank. It will not desolve directly in gas you would have to put some water in the tank then use Heat to remove the water but you are asking for problems if you do it that way. The CEL is prolly on because the cap was loose and your engine thinks it has a leak in the EVAP system. The code will not clear on its own, not for like 50+ test cycles.

Massey

Old 10-24-2010, 07:49 AM
4th Gear Member

you have an OBD2 car. Go to the local parts store and get the code read for free.

Quick Reply: Sugar in Gas Tank?