stuck throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013 | 09:34 AM
|
2nd Gear member

Throttle plate? You're talking about the metal thing u can push right inside there that I have the picture of? The thing with 3 holes on it?

Where are other vacuum lines? Where do those 3 go that are zip tied down in? As in the other ends of them? The vacuum cleaner lol. Car was fine until it wouldn't cranked and I just kept the key turned a little to long to give it time to crank and it blowed that hose off with popping sound. I would buy the theory that there's another off but where are they?

Old 04-09-2013 | 11:32 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Dana
Throttle plate? You're talking about the metal thing u can push right inside there that I have the picture of? The thing with 3 holes on it?
Yeah that. I can only make out one hole on the lower half in your picture. But if two more are hiding in the shadows, I'll take your word for it.

Old 04-09-2013 | 11:47 AM
|
2nd Gear member

It may only be 1 hole. There are 3 CIRCLES lol. It looks like a smiley face to me that is surprised about something :O

Old 04-09-2013 | 01:17 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The other two I see are the screws that hold the blade to the cross shaft.

Old 04-09-2013 | 03:46 PM
|
2nd Gear member

He called me back and had me unplug IAC and start car. RPM's flew and we shut it off Waiting on him to get off phone so I can call back lol I just can't see me driving this car to him like this :/

Old 04-09-2013 | 05:18 PM
|
2nd Gear member

Ok this is resolved My wonderful hubby decided to look around and trace some hoses. The pcv hose had popped off. He put that back and it is running normal now. My plan of action (according to mechanic) is Marvel Mystery Oil additive. He wants me to run that as it says on the bottle a few times to clean the injecters. He wants to find the source of the back firing and if it still happens after using a few tanks of additive then he will look more into it.

Question: the oil on the TB which wasnt that much anyway, could it have anything to do with all of this? Be a product of or not connected at all?

Old 04-09-2013 | 08:59 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If the PCV valve is not connected it could make it a little worse. But that would take a little while of running it for the oil to get all the way up to your throttle body.

If you take the oil cap off while the motor is running do you feel any air coming out? Also wipe everything clean then keep an eye on it. Don't forget to clean the main intake hose that comes from the filter. It is possible that if the transported the motor with oil in it the oil got to places it should not have been.

Last edited by Gorn; 04-09-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-10-2013 | 06:30 AM
4th Gear Member

The best way to use MMO is the next tank fillup, pour in half a bottle in first, then fill the tank. Drive the tank to 1/4 full, then repeat.

Old 04-10-2013 | 06:36 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Dana
My plan of action (according to mechanic) is Marvel Mystery Oil additive. He wants me to run that as it says on the bottle a few times to clean the injecters. He wants to find the source of the back firing and if it still happens after using a few tanks of additive then he will look more into it.
He he My first post in this thread

Most likely a small injector leak casues a small back fire (the pop) which poped off the hose. It is a small leak and will only back fire when the motor is in a certain position not all the time. No real danger once the car is started. Well no real danger if that is what it turn out to be. Worst it can do in damage the air cleaner and show you which hose need replaced If the mechanic can not find anything else ask for the injectors to be cleaned. If it happens again (the pop that is) your going to have to have the injectors sent out for cleaning and testing.

Just a guess.
Once your all done with the injector cleaner you should replace you fuel filter. Tank type cleaner will also clean your tank. That will put a lot of goo in your filter.

Last edited by Gorn; 04-10-2013 at 06:38 AM.
Old 04-10-2013 | 07:01 AM
|
2nd Gear member

I asked about the filter and he said it would even clean the filter and the last place it would go through was the injectors and the be burned out exhaust. It won't hurt to change it though. And yeah I recalled you posting about injectors. He said we'd start with that and it was something I could start treating at home. He wanted to get to the bottom of the backfiring though. If it did a true exhaust backfire I'll crap my pants lol. Someone shooting at me?? Lol

Quick Reply: stuck throttle?