stuck throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013 | 11:37 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Well it didn't pop off every time I started it. It popped off once every couple weeks.

Old 03-28-2013 | 11:39 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Lol. And I was thinking it may be the canister is shot. Prolly one or the other, causing too much pressure.

Old 03-29-2013 | 07:25 AM
|
2nd Gear member

Yeah it doesn't happen that often at all. In fact for this particular hose, this is my first time. So tie it closed or not? How to prevent this from happening. I felt like John Force without a parachute lol

Old 03-29-2013 | 07:33 AM
|
2nd Gear member

Also if I turn the key normally it will fire in 2 seconds or less. This time it was lik 4 and then it popped and no crank so I took it back to off and tried again. So maybe if not crank quickly to just try again?

Old 03-29-2013 | 08:20 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

chaotic can you post up a picture of your fix

Old 03-29-2013 | 01:56 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Most likely a small injector leak casues a small back fire (the pop) which poped off the hose. It is a small leak and will only back fire when the motor is in a certain position not all the time. No real danger once the car is started. Well no real danger if that is what it turn out to be. Worst it can do in damage the air cleaner and show you which hose need replaced If the mechanic can not find anything else ask for the injectors to be cleaned. If it happens again (the pop that is) your going to have to have the injectors sent out for cleaning and testing.

Just a guess.

Last edited by Gorn; 03-29-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-30-2013 | 08:19 PM
|
2nd Gear member

Would Sea Foam benefit if injectors needed cleaned? Zip tie or no? I haven't called the shop back. We left Friday morning on a mini vacation. I'll try cranking it Monday and see if it's calmed down and I'll call to update and chat with them.

Old 03-31-2013 | 08:42 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Yes but I would use injector cleaner. Seafoam is ok on carbon deposits but injector cleaners is better all around cleaner.

A word of warning. When a mechanic cleans your injector he connects a system directly to your injector rail and by passes the rest of your fuel system. When you put injector cleaner in your tank you start cleaning the tank. That push the dirt into the filter, it will also start to "clean" the fliter. This can break down the dirt in the filter and push it into the injectors. If the system is really dirty it can hurt the car.

If you replaced the filter recently you can do a couple of tanks with cleaner then install a new filter once your sure there is no cleaner left. I would not put cleaner in a tank if the filter could have a lot of stuff in it. That would mean new filter now and another new filter after a few tanks.

Remember the poping is a side effect. If you can find away to keep the hose from poping off its not going to hurt anything.

This all assumes its a leaking injector, a cold sticking valve could cause the same issue and could easly be found with a vacuum gage but the mechanic would need to have the car cold to test it.

Last edited by Gorn; 03-31-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-31-2013 | 08:44 AM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I wrapped a zip tie around the hose and clamped it on there so it wouldn't pop off. I'll try to take a pic here in a few minutes for you. I'm currently driving lol.

Old 03-31-2013 | 08:50 AM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

And the pop isn't a backfire. It's like a balloon popping. Almost like that vacuum line has a lot of pressure and finally "pops" off. At least I know mine isn't a backfire when it happens. Back when my TB was cracked, and the car has 3-4 bad sensors it would backfire in the intake and this is a completely different noise. At least mine was. It sounds like a balloon popping, then you hear what sounds like a gust of constant wind under the hood lol. Could be different between her car and mine tho.

Quick Reply: stuck throttle?