stuck throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013 | 03:06 PM
|
2nd Gear member
Default stuck throttle?

Most terrifying moment today! Car wouldn't crank on first attempt so I tried again. Something popped under the hood and the RPM's climbed up to 2500 while just sitting in park. I thought I could get it to simmer down by lightly pressing the gas pedal but no, it made it worse. I wasnt at home so I needed to get it home. I put it in reverse and it acted like it had twice as much power as it should. At stop signs/red lights, it wanted to GO so bad. Driving seemed normal until you let it coast and then the RPMS and speed would climb again. I figured it would really fly when I got it home so as quick as I put it in drive and the RPM's soared real quick I shut it off.

I've called the shop and the foreman thinks it's a stuck throttle and tried to talk me into checking the cable for a foreign body such as an acorn etc but just looking at it, I dont see anything. There's no way I'm driving it. He wants me to call him back but right now my phone is on charger. He said in the morning he could seen a tech out to look at it for me at home.

Old 03-28-2013 | 05:25 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If you look at this picture, you can see a small port where the intake comes to a "V" shape in the front. It's right behind the "V" shape of the intake. There's a vacuum line that goes there that likes to pop off. Mine used too all the time until I zip tied it. The vacuum line will actually be a "T" coming off of the intake and it will have two vacuum lines coming off of it (one going to the left and one going to the right) THIS VACUUM LINE WILL CAUSE THE CAR TO IDLE HIGH. Mine idled at like 3000rpm when it popped off. Exactly as you're describing. Good luck!

Name:  9FD5AE30-8D76-494D-846D-CA815FB257A3-12414-00000B51CE38641F_zpsf2475744.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  20.8 KB

Old 03-28-2013 | 05:34 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

First thing to look at is to see if the throttle blade in the throttle body is stuck open. See if your throttle cable is frayed at the end, making the TB stay open.
But, what was the "pop" you heard? Was it a clunk sound or a backfire out of the intake? Although I've never heard of it happening, I'm wondering if perhaps a backfire blew back and/or wedged your idle air control plunger? If the IAC stuck open, your idle will race. Stranger things have happened.

Old 03-28-2013 | 05:38 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

What she is describing is exactly what my car used to do. It would pop real loud upon starting and then idle at like 3000rpms, sometimes higher than that. Every single time, I was the vacuum line that had popped off. What she's describing is exactly what my car did.

Old 03-28-2013 | 05:53 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Since by nature, a vacuum source such as that would be sucking the hose on, not off, you would have a mechanical issue causing a restriction. A clamp isn't a fix, its a band-aid. What is that hose connected to, and did you try to figure out what's wrong?

Old 03-28-2013 | 06:07 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Mine was cracked really bad and would come off upon start up.

Old 03-28-2013 | 06:52 PM
2nd Gear member

I agree with chaotic. Check that hose behind the intake manifold. Mine popped off and did the same thing. Usually makes a loud pop when it blows off and from there the rpms skyrocket instantly.

Old 03-28-2013 | 06:55 PM
2nd Gear member

and 69, i agree. it should be suction. luckily it was my old camaro that did this that i know had problems. im not sure what causes them to pop off. but even though it should be suction, look at it this way. if it had so much to pull the thing on, why does it need the rubber sleeve to make sure it stays on?

Old 03-28-2013 | 08:14 PM
|
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Chaotic94
If you look at this picture, you can see a small port where the intake comes to a "V" shape in the front. It's right behind the "V" shape of the intake. There's a vacuum line that goes there that likes to pop off. Mine used too all the time until I zip tied it. The vacuum line will actually be a "T" coming off of the intake and it will have two vacuum lines coming off of it (one going to the left and one going to the right) THIS VACUUM LINE WILL CAUSE THE CAR TO IDLE HIGH. Mine idled at like 3000rpm when it popped off. Exactly as you're describing. Good luck!

That is EXACTLY what happened. It was off. We put it back on. I'm afraid to crank it though lol.

Old 03-28-2013 | 08:16 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Should be okay. Just zip tie it.

Quick Reply: stuck throttle?