Steering column/high beam/wiper issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 09:57 PM
Default Steering column/high beam/wiper issues

I have a 99 camaro, the steering column that has play in it, I took it all apart hoping the 4 bolts holding the tilt assembly were loose and easy fix. However I found that the lower and upper housing assembly is actually wollered out where the pivot pins go. Having a hard time locating those part numbers for those pieces and thinking they may be more than I want to spend. Bought it as a dd to work and back for 600 bucks and have been slowly fixing the issues it has.
Another couple related issue that I’m thinking a multifunction switch assembly will fix is the headlights won’t go to high beam, I checked when the column was apart and the high beam rod when moved manually will activate the high beams, the lever just isn’t engaging the rod properly. Also the wipers are pretty sluggish to actually move, maybe the multifunction switch will fix this, or the wiper motor going bad or another issue?
with all of this not sure if I would be best off getting a new column or what to do. Again, not sure the best route to go with everything considered. Would hate to put more money in the column than I have in the whole car now.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:14 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

try to adjust the blinker switch, its on the collumn down by your feet.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:42 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Its pretty common for the loose column to cause the dimmer issue you described. The dimmer can be adjusted but I would not do it until I fixed the column. Check out Unbalanced Engineering for an oversized pivot pin. If you look at my project 93 thread in my sig and look at the last couple pages I used them and they worked surprising well. One side was very tight and the other was what I call a slip fit. I used some way grease that should last forever. The result was very tight and for the price it is hard to beat.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:00 PM

Thanks, I’ll look into those pivot pins. Hopefully that will work. Did you have to drill out the steering column housing at all to make them fit better?

Old 03-15-2018, 06:58 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

No, its only about .005" larger.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:22 PM

Okay, ordered a pair, hopefully they are enough to take out the slop I have. Hopefully that will fix my high beam issue as well, the multifunction switch gets far enough to turn them engage them when it’s pulled back all the way. Just doesn’t click to keep them on

Old 03-15-2018, 08:55 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

tilt wheel up and try, then tilt down and try.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:34 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Dustin99
Okay, ordered a pair, hopefully they are enough to take out the slop I have. Hopefully that will fix my high beam issue as well, the multifunction switch gets far enough to turn them engage them when it’s pulled back all the way. Just doesn’t click to keep them on
You can reach under the dash and manually push the dimmer with you thumb. If it works ok that way it just needs adjusted but if you can not make it click into place manually then you need a new one. I have fixed a LOT more columns then I have replaced switches. Of course that was the bolts coming loose. The pivot pin bores wearing out is new to me. I have not seen it n any car but the 4th gen Camaro.

Last edited by Gorn; 03-18-2018 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Gorn
You can reach under the dash and manually push the dimmer with you thumb. If it works ok that way it just needs adjusted but if you can not make it click into place manually then you need a new one. I have fixed a LOT more columns then I have replaced switches. Of course that was the bolts coming loose. The pivot pin bores wearing out is new to me. I have not seen it n any car but the 4th gen Camaro.
oh yeah, I’m pretty confident it just needs adjusted, when I had the column apart before I manually pushed the rod and it clicked and went from low to high and vice verse. Oversized pivot pins just showed up today so I’ll get those in and then adjust it.
One other thing I haven’t worried about much, the airbag light came on after I got everything back together, maybe something just not quite connected good?