Starter motor issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 01:03 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
pull the starter and inspect the teeth, also spin the crank so you can see all the teeth. any little wear can cause starting issues.
thanks. teeth look good and no were

Old 09-16-2012, 01:09 PM
2nd Gear member

So your starter spins when its supposed to but it doesn't catch and crank the engine over until the starter spins for awhile?

Old 09-16-2012, 01:20 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yes it is a lot of work, I do have 1 advantage,I have accuse to a car lift. I have tried in several different ways to remove the starter without removing the (Y) pipe...with no luck..belive me I tried. All the fly-wheel teeth are there and look good, For a 94 with 80,000 miles, Ill put it back on the lift and remove the inspection plate, Maybe I can get a diel indicator on is to see if its warped Hope Camaro 69 is closer to the solution then you....lol Id hate to pull the trany.....Thank you for your advice,,It helps.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:28 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Greg08
So your starter spins when its supposed to but it doesn't catch and crank the engine over until the starter spins for awhile?
No, the bindix gear comes out and taps the flywheel,,,By disign it must travel its full distence before it spins.It's just tapping the fly wheel every time i turn the key,Once it Meshes then the gear spins and starts the motor.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:38 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn
The failing overrunning clutch most likey destoryed your Flex plate. Check the teeth on the flex plate. My guess is some of them are missing or half gone. It is pretty common if you run a bad starter for any amount of time.
My termonolgy may be wrong but, I belive when the overrunning clutch goes out the bendix gear fails to move forward and just spins,That is what was going on with the first starter. All the teeth on the fly-wheel(flex plate) are in great shape...thanks

Old 09-16-2012, 02:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
From that, it sure sounds to me like the gear mesh is too tight, and the starter needs to be shimmed.
Here's how to check and shim the starter: Starter Shimming
There is No way to check the starter in that manner..The 94 5 speed has no accuss to the the ring gear..You must place dicome or paint the gear instal and pull to see were your at,,spacer wise....I have a right mind to drill a hole in the back of the houseing,At lest I could get a better look at whats is going on.

Last edited by surfhppy; 09-16-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:22 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by surfhppy
No, the bindix gear comes out and taps the flywheel,,,By disign it must travel its full distence before it spins.It's just tapping the fly wheel every time i turn the key,Once it Meshes then the gear spins and starts the motor.
Ok so you need the bindex to extend further?

Old 09-16-2012, 02:27 PM
2nd Gear member

Okay, so now it sounds like you have a 5-speed. No WAY will that flywheel crack. It does now sound like a starter or starter mounting problem.

With regard to shims, the shop I go to is routinely replacing starters. I've looked at a few rebuilt ones and all were marked "NO SHIMS" right on the aluminum casting. Don't understand how that can be.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:28 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

With the bendix gear whacking the side of the flywheel, I have no doubt then that the mesh must too tight.
And yes, since you can't access the gears, you're going to want to use paint.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 09-16-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:37 PM
2nd Gear member

eric the car guy is whatsup lol

Quick Reply: Starter motor issue