Starter motor issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 12:27 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Starter motor issue

I just replaced my old starter out of my 94. 3.4L,The overrunning clutch was going out.. Sense then I've been through three new starters ,2 of the same brand and one of another.they all have the same issue..From what I can tell, the gear on the armature shaft hits my flywheel As I turn the key . It takes 3 to 10 times before it will mesh with the flywheel and turn over the motor.. So do i shim it tell it works or what.?...Battery is good and showing 12+ volts..connection are good ,tight and clean . It doesn't make sence....any replies will be helpful. Ignition looks good as well..I just changed the starter and nothing els was touched.

Last edited by surfhppy; 09-15-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:38 AM
2nd Gear member

If you really have a 94, it doesn't have the 3.8.

If your car does have the 3.8, then it's a mid-95 or newer.

That might be a good place to start...

Old 09-15-2012, 12:19 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^ Made me giggle. Maybe he did a motor swap brah! Lol

Old 09-15-2012, 12:45 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The failing overrunning clutch most likey destoryed your Flex plate. Check the teeth on the flex plate. My guess is some of them are missing or half gone. It is pretty common if you run a bad starter for any amount of time.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:56 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 1augapfel
If you really have a 94, it doesn't have the 3.8.

If your car does have the 3.8, then it's a mid-95 or newer.

That might be a good place to start...
I was mistaken and ment to say 3.4

gets the best of me

Last edited by surfhppy; 09-15-2012 at 08:09 PM. Reason: mistaken
Old 09-15-2012, 08:00 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

pull the starter and inspect the teeth, also spin the crank so you can see all the teeth. any little wear can cause starting issues.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:12 PM
In the Staging Lanes

starter teeth look new,Its a brand new starter..The fly wheel has no sine of anything.all the teeth are there and they look great...

Last edited by surfhppy; 09-16-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:59 AM
2nd Gear member

You changed the starter on a 3.4 3 or 4 times??? Poor you. That job suuuuuuuucks. I've done it on my 94 a few times, first when I pulled the engine for rebuilding, and later when the overrunning clutch (aka "Bendix") went bad. Both those times I was sure that I had to drop the y-pipe to get the starter out and that was pretty horrible.
The last time (and I can't remember why I had to do it) I discovered that you *don't* have to drop the y-pipe.

You completely disconnect the starter, manipulate it to stand it on end, and then rotate it to point the solenoid inboard and slight down. The freakin' thing slid right out to the rear! I was thrilled.

Now this was on a auto trans car where the fluid lines are totally in the way. A stick car might not have the problem.

You've "barred" the engine all the way around to see all the flywheel teeth? And all the starter pinion teeth look good? Then there's two thing look at:

With the starter out you should be able to use your thumb to rotate those pinion teeth in one direction but not the other.

The other possibility is much worse: the flywheel could be cracked at the crankshaft mounting area (not uncommon on high mileage GM products) and the flywhel is not rotating "true." So as it is turned by the starter, the flywheel teeth are moving fore/aft and may disengage the starter. Hope it's not that...

Old 09-16-2012, 08:07 AM
3rd Gear Member

Check it all out and you might not have to change it for awhile.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:29 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by surfhppy
From what I can tell, the gear on the armature shaft hits my flywheel As I turn the key . It takes 3 to 10 times before it will mesh with the flywheel and turn over the motor.
From that, it sure sounds to me like the gear mesh is too tight, and the starter needs to be shimmed.
Here's how to check and shim the starter: Starter Shimming

Quick Reply: Starter motor issue