SS wont start

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 01:58 PM
Default SS wont start

I just bought a 01 SS last week and now when I go to start it, it doesn't turn over. I turn it to the first accessory click and the dash lights and radio come on, etc. but when I try to turn it over from there nothing happens! There is no clicking, nothing....silence! What is going on here??!!!! Please help!!!!

I just took it to the dealership where I bought it (dodge dealership) because my SES light had come on. They had to reconnect the #6 spark plug to it's wiring. They said that they ran the codes and there was nothing there after they corrected that. What would cause this not to turn over?????

My husband used to take care of my camaros but he is no longer with me so I am on my own. I am not an idiot when it comes to cars, especially my camaros but I'm not good at diagnosing problems. I am hoping someone can help me out.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:29 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: SS wont start

Is the security light coming on when you attempt to start the engine?

Old 06-22-2008, 11:17 PM

No. it the security light just comes on with all of the lights and then goes off....BUT last week it was staying on after I turned the car on and while driving around! It would later go off. I didn't know why that would stay on.

My little brother said it could be from dirty battery cables. I have a battery with side-mount cables and I think i would need to take the plastic covers off to clean them. I will try to do that tomorrow and see what happens.

What does the security light have to do with this issue? I am just asking.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:10 AM
Overdrive Member

Security on the car can disable the starter and fuel injectors if your car doesn't think the correct key is being used. Something to do with the chip/resistor in the key. Maybe someone can come fill in the blanks.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:02 PM
Tech Droid

The way it works:
1) The ignition key has a resistor pellet embedded in it
2) There are contacts in the ignition switch that are wired to the security module, or the BCM in newer cars.
3) When the key is inserted the security module sees the resistance of the pellet.
4) If the resistance of the pellet matches the number programmed in the security module,the security module enables the starter control relayand also sends a continuous (Pulse Width Modulated) signal to the PCM signifying that everything is legit (all seems well). When the PCM sees the PWM signal from the security module it fires the injectors as needed. And hopefully the engine will start.
5) If the security module does not see the pellet ,or the pellet has the wrong value, it will not enable the starter control relay or send the PCM the PWM signal, the starter will not engage, and the PCM will not fire the injectors. Instead the Red Security lite goes on.
6) If the security lite comes on while driving, for safety reasons, theprogramming is set up so that the engine will keep on running. The system also recognizes that if the failure took place after the proper key was used, so there is no theft involved, and allow the car to be started while the security lite is on, to give the owner time to fix the problem. However, it will eventually get confused and keep the engine from starting.

Common problems:
1) The pellet broke or changed value with age.
2) The contacts on the pellet and/or the ignition switch are worn out and nor working properly.
3) Damaged wiring or connectors between the ignition switch and the security module
4) Bad security module
5) Damaged wiring or connectors between the module and PCM

Old 06-27-2008, 04:30 AM
In the Staging Lanes

haha i have that same problem with my car every now and again the thing wont start, i have to pull the fuse for the horn because my keypad went bad appearently, so anywho..when i lock my doors and unlock with my key i have to start it really quickly or the alarm will go off and sometimes it goes off because the starter is disable, it really sucks..but its a nice feature!

Old 06-30-2008, 08:27 PM

Thanks guys but I found out it was my ignition switch. My good Chevy dealership found it. They also thought it might be the key...but it was the switch. They replaced it and it starts up everytime!!! Still running great!!!!