Something interesting is going on with my oil....

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 06:07 PM
Default Something interesting is going on with my oil....

Hello All,

I have a 1998 Z28 LS1 Camaro.

I just bought this car 2 weeks ago. The guy had changed the oil a week before that.

About every other time that I start my car the low oil sensor dash light lights up and stays lit until I reach my destination. Then when I start it back up the low oil light is off. On a side note, my lifters are ticking...

My theory. It is pretty cold right now. I leave the car outside at night. I believe the oil is cold and think the oil is thick from the tempurature and not getting to the sensor. (I do not know what weight the guy used in the car) I am also wondering if the oil is not getting up to the lifters..which could cause the ticking.. but I'm not sure if oil even gets near the lifters.

Another side note: My temp gauge has not gone above 165 degrees since I bought the car. I will go on a drive for 15mins in 50 degree weather and the engine temp never gets higher than 165.. is that normal?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Old 11-29-2010, 06:27 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

My car takes about 20 minutes for it to get to 180 degrees. But then again, mines a 3.4... So I guess it's a little different. The guy could have put oil in it that's too heavy. Other than that, I'm not sure

Old 11-29-2010, 07:19 PM
In the Staging Lanes

hey I've had the same thing happen to me. Although mine is a 3.4. But it was like 2-weeks after I changed the oil. I only put a gallon jug of oil back in when I changed it, but I think it calls for 4.5 quarts I think. Which is a little more than a gallon. All I done was added a quart of oil and the light went away for good. So I would try to add 1/2 to 1 quart and I would almost guarantee it will fix your problem. I say the person who changed it before you bought it done like me and put just a gallon jug of oil back in it.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:25 PM
2nd Gear member

The relative viscosity of the oil will not affect it getting to the low-oil sensor. You are either low on oil, have a flaky sensor, or a loose connection somewhere.

The lifters ticking are a sure sign that they are not getting enough oil to pump them up. Either that or they are horribly out of adjustment. Do they quiet down after the engine runs for a few minutes and the oil warms up?

I wouldn't worry about the temp right now. The low oil light and ticking lifters are more pressing matters to address.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:59 AM
Overdrive Member

The oil weight will not matter like Grandpa said. Now gunk on the sensor or bad/loose wiring can cause the issue.

Are you sure that it is the lifters ticking? The early LS1s (98-00) had a problem with piston slap. This is a ticking sound (similar to lifters) that happens until the engine warms up a little. My Wife's Z does it for about 5 minutes regardless of the temp outside. It is annoying but for the most part harmless.

The engine temp being low could be a couple of things. First is the CTS is bad and not giving the right reading. 2. The gauge is bad, again not the right reading. 3. Thermostat is wrong or missing and not allowing the engine to reach proper temp. The 3rd issue could cause multiple other problems. If in doubt I would put a new 195º thermostat in the car and new antifreeze, purge the system properly to prevent steam lockup. To know what the temp is for positive use a mechanical gauge. To know what the temp the computer reads use an OBDII scanner that can read live data. That will help pinpoint where the issue really is. I dont know for sure but on my 99 3.8L there is only one CTS which provides temp for the PCM and the fans. The PCM provides the signal for the gauge and to turn the second fan on, the LS1 engine may be set up the same.

Massey

Old 11-30-2010, 02:04 PM

Thanks for the replies. I am wondering, could my oil pump be going bad? I have 40psi at idle and 55psi when drive on my oil pressure gauge. Just thinking maybe the oil isn't circulating from the oil pump.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:09 PM

Oh and the ticking sound has not gone away even after the car runs for fifteen minutes or more. I YouTube the sound and it sounds like the liters.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:27 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by Mustang_Eater
Thanks for the replies. I am wondering, could my oil pump be going bad? I have 40psi at idle and 55psi when drive on my oil pressure gauge. Just thinking maybe the oil isn't circulating from the oil pump.

Nope that is perfect settings for the LS1 engines.

Massey

Old 11-30-2010, 05:55 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Originally Posted by Jus22tin
I only put a gallon jug of oil back in when I changed it, but I think it calls for 4.5 quarts I think. Which is a little more than a gallon.
those jugs are 5+ quarts ( i think 5.25) anyways that what i use in my 3.4 way easier than 5 actual quart jugs

Old 11-30-2010, 06:57 PM

Ok guys, I'm going to start by replacing the oil pressure switch.... looks like it could be a bear to replace on the back of the LS1. My Hyraulic lifters must just not be kicking in from the cold weather or they need to be fixed (or bent rods etc.

Quick Reply: Something interesting is going on with my oil....