Should I Do An LS1, 4.8, or 5.3?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 08:58 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Should I Do An LS1, 4.8, or 5.3?

Some of you may know, I got a 2000 Camaro V6 (got a good deal on it) this past week with money from the insurance money I got from my accident back earlier this year. Anyways, my dad is pretty intelligent when it comes to LSX's (has an LS1 in his car now, and we're about to build another motor to put in it this winter - he has a Firebird). He told me it'd be cheaper to go with a 5.3, rather than an LS1, and they have about the same numbers in terms of horsepower, and I've been told that 5.3's will respond to boost much better than an LS1 will (I wanna go the turbo route). I'm kind of on a tight budget because I'm a teenager & I'm funding it myself. But anyways, what's your take?

Old 05-26-2013, 10:26 PM
3rd Gear Member

He's right. the 5.3's can put down pretty close to the same numbers as the ls1 and respond well to boost. If you are tight on money, then I think going with a simple heads/cam would be best. Doing a turbo setup isn't the easiest or cheapest to do on these cars, but a good cam is only a couple hundred bucks. Also, if you decide to go boost it is usually best to get a cam to help compliment your setup as well. With that in mind, I would say (because you are on a budget) to start with the head/cam now while the engine is out of the car and it will be cheaper for you.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Failed Devices
He's right. the 5.3's can put down pretty close to the same numbers as the ls1 and respond well to boost. If you are tight on money, then I think going with a simple heads/cam would be best. Doing a turbo setup isn't the easiest or cheapest to do on these cars, but a good cam is only a couple hundred bucks. Also, if you decide to go boost it is usually best to get a cam to help compliment your setup as well. With that in mind, I would say (because you are on a budget) to start with the head/cam now while the engine is out of the car and it will be cheaper for you.
Thanks man - I'll follow your advice. What kind of cam and heads should I get? Like I said, I'm on a fairly tight budget.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:56 PM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You could build a boosted 5.3 for the price of heads/cam/intake, just be smart about where you get your parts and fab up your own kit, shouldn't cost too much at all.