seriously considering a 95 z28

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 08:17 PM
Smile seriously considering a 95 z28

Well first off, let me say hellooooooo camaro forum! First post. I have a question that has been bugging me for quite a while. Now before I become flammed horribly for the thought of comparing these two vehicles, there just the first 2 in my "interest" list, and just looking for better ways to separate the two. Okay, I live in indiana and have been looking for a new car (I own a 1997 Lexus LS400 (4.0L v8)) I enjoyed the v8 a lot in that car. Obviously its a luxury sedan and the the v8 was nothing to special, but I enjoyed it all the same.

But I have been recently been stuck on this 1995 z28 camaro, and a 2003 Honda S2000 (ohhhh gaspp, import.) Right let me explain first haha. I have driven both cars before in my life time. I love the z28 for its face ripping torque. But I dont like the handling! As compared to the s2000. Obviously much smaller engine 2.0L inline 4. But the turning is much more composed, and smoother i guess you could say.

What I'm really asking is, how if there is any way. Modifications to be made on a z28 that can make it handle like....well, ha im sorry but not an american car. I love american v8 and there torque/hp loveliness. But I dont like how if I hit the twisties, that 240hp/173tq s2000 would win. I guess im really just looking for the best of both worlds, cause I would really like to enjoy a z28, but not if a underpowered s2000 could outlap me.

Thanks again guys, and sorry since im a new jack here im posting a rather absurd question. But I've checked many forums and never really saw an answer I was looking for. So I thought id ask myself!

Again thanks for reading!

Old 05-24-2011, 08:39 PM
2nd Gear member

dont underestimate the s2000 on hp, with some moderate modding those things are meannn

but there are tons of suspension modificaitons you can do to make your camaro feel like its on rails, and most likely the 95 you drove has the original shocks and springs which are probably toast

when i replaced my suspension with just stock components (should got better stuff i was dumb ) my car felt like a brand new machine

the big thing i would be worried about would likely be maitenence with the 95 as it is 16 years old and idk the mileage but in need of some tune up already

also where in indiana, im in greenwood

Old 05-24-2011, 08:43 PM

Yea I know that area! Im from Carmel. But what makes this car a super steal man is that its a certified one owner, with only 19,000 miles. The dealership im looking at is selling it for 12k but I could probably talk them down a few G's since KBB puts it at 8k at the most. But im sure there are plenty of mods out there. There a link that I could check out that has some good suspension material on it? Thanks bro.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:57 PM
2nd Gear member

lol we know carmel as the rich kids, im from center grove

and 12k is a looooot for a maro, that sounds like dealer price for an 02 ss

but with only 19 thousand miles that sounds awesome

and im not the suspension expert but look around on forums, LS1tech.com has a very active community and im sure you could find some info there

personally when i get the cash im going all ebach with front and rear sway bars and 1.3 inch lowered
95 1995 Chevrolet Camaro Lowering Kit - Suspension System | Drivewire.com

and youll need an adjustable panhard rod if you do end up lowering to realign the rear end

before you do anything ask around on here though, for instance some people have issues with lowering and having lt headers

youll never get that same feel as the s2000 though as it is a smaller lighter car that is meant to feel nimble like that while the maro has decent suspension ...for 16 years ago, idk if the s2k has independant rear suspension but the camaros do not lol

make sure you get other camaro owners besides my owns opinions though we all have different thoughts on this and im what you could call a noob only owning mine for about a year, but i love it, and if you live in a bumpy area with a lot of hills, stop signs, and slow speed limits+hills it can get very annoying

Old 05-24-2011, 09:03 PM

Yea, Carmel is the "rich" part of Indianapolis for sure, but im sure not one of them ha. Yea I have absolutely no plans for picking it up for 12, but If i can talk them down to 8-10, ill be okay with it. I live in Indiana but im not really "living" there ha, sounds confusing. But I'm in the military (my name could probably give it away ha.) Im actually living in Cali and have been for about 2 years, up until this thursday Ill be flying home for a month, then Im flying again across the pond to Okinawa, Japan. Should be pretty interesting.

I'm for sure going to look into that site you threw me and I guess make my own decision. When I come home ill test drive the crap out of em to finally come up with my decision.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:06 PM

oops, i hit post twice. my bad

Last edited by usmcslater; 05-24-2011 at 09:10 PM. Reason: double (accident) post
Old 05-24-2011, 10:07 PM
2nd Gear member

I have BMR 1" lowering springs and adjustable KYB AGX shocks front and rear and a strut tower brace. After I did that and aligned my car, it handled like no tomorrow. I stayed on my friends tail through 7 miles of mountain roads here in the Poconos, and he has a 2003 M3 with Koni adjustables and springs all the way around.

What also helps is wider tires. Stock z28s came with 255s, or at least mine did when I got it. I now have 275s all the way around and I felt that help as well since there is more rubber on the road. Also, for you, I would get front and rear sways since the car is so old. Mine are still good so I'm fine for now, but even with my stock sways, control arms, and panhard, my car has no body roll going around turns whatsoever.

With the right upgrades, don't underestimate the handling of these cars at all. I drive mountain roads every single day and I test the limits a lot and she passes with flying colors every time. Here are some websites to help you out. I bought my springs and strut brace from Summit Racing and my shocks from...I don't remember lol

Summit Racing
Strano Performance Parts - Parts Catalog
www.hawksthirdgenparts.com

There are more, but I can't remember right now.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:36 PM

Thanks bud. Thats re assuring ha. I'm really looking forward to test driving these two and deciding which one I would like to take home. Im sure itll be a real tough decision for me.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:58 PM
3rd Gear Member

Even 8k is too much, for that much pickup a ls1 maro and you will be alot happier. The maros are not as bad handling as everybody thinks. Especialy the 3rd gens. Thats right a 80s car. Strut brace bars and eibach suspensions goes a very long way. Sway bars are also a big help. The thing i dont like about s2ks or most hondas for that fact is that they dont feel like sports cars. As far as autocross there are MANY maros out there used in competition. Camaros are very predictable. In fact too predictable. My buddy was used to driving a maro too much and tried the same on a stang and wrecked LMAO. The steering always feels good to me aswell. I just today drove a hatch civic 2000 and the steering felt stiff. Not smooth at all.