Serious Problem..

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 11:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Thumbs down Serious Problem..

Ok so I have a 94 Z28. For starters, my car has been acting up for a few months now. On start up, I turn the key and it wants to start but it doesn't. I have to try it a few times before it actually starts. I changed the opti, spark plugs, cables, starter, and got a new battery. The fastest way I get it to start is, turn the key, activate the fuel pump, turn it off, then activate the fuel pump again, then it turns on faster (yeah I know that was bad). Besides that, It ran fine and everything.
So a couple days ago, I was driving, and my car just suddenly turned off, like completely off out of nowhere. Scared the s#!T out of me because I didn't know what happened. I started it back up, and turned on like nothing. I thought maybe I shifted wrong and it was my fault somehow (yeah right). Anyways, the next day my car worked fine. A couple days later I was driving and it did the same thing. It turned off on me out of nowhere. I was like wtf, this is dangerous because my steering gets hard and trying to get out of traffic with a car that's slowing down is hard. Needless to say, I was on the dangerous part of town (I was dropping off my cousin). Eventually, it started back up (before any gangsters checked me), and I left it at my sisters house, which was near by. So I'm not sure what the problem is but I think its fuel related? I'm thinking the fuel is being cut off at some point (maybe the fuel pump). It basically just runs normal and turns off out of nowhere while driving.. yeah that's crazy.

Last edited by Sniper; 11-15-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:20 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

yup fuel pump its overheating that why your car dies i suggest you dont drive the car at all untill you get it fixed also use the hatch method it will save you tons of time
https://camaroforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54911

Old 11-15-2010, 11:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yeah I left it at my sisters because I didn't wanna risk any more damage or an accident. I was thinking that's what it was and just looking at those hatch methods.. I must say, that method does seem a little intimidating to me, due to my lack of mechanic skills. I might have to ask a friend because I here mechanics will rape you because of the work.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:36 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

its not hard at all cut the hatch (i used a cutoff wheel i was a little worried about explosions so i emptied my tank and left the cap off for a day) theres like 5 or 6 8mm nuts that hold the sending unit in 3 quick connects at the top left corner of the hatch for the lines (i also recommend cutting a little bit there) take the sending unit out have a drain pan right there because it WILL still have gas in it then on the sending unit pop the big yellow plastic part off the bottom split it with a screwdriver at the top take your pump out put a new one in with all the supplied hoses and reassemble i can get my sending unit out swap the pump and put it all back in in about 5 min also the pump is like 160$$$ just letting you know if you want ill post some pics

Old 11-15-2010, 11:44 PM
In the Staging Lanes

^^^agreed^^^

Old 11-15-2010, 11:46 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

damn i got this down to a science im slowly becoming an F body expert lol

Old 11-15-2010, 11:48 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yeah I was just looking at different posts with pics. More pics wouldn't hurt. Too bad I just put $25 of gas on my way to my cousins, so I got at least 3/4 full tank. I'm thinking I'm going to have to do this. Thanks for the info man.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:57 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

drill a hole in the bottom of the tank and then use some quicksteel to patch the hole back up after you drain it much better than syphining and the quicksteel WILL hold i promise ill get you some pics shortly prob tonight

Old 11-16-2010, 12:08 AM

Basic, does the "hatch method" work on verts? or does it have to be done the hard way?

Old 11-16-2010, 12:13 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

well i have a vert and i just took mine all apart down to the pump in 10 min (like with in the last post and now) so youll be good theres a hinge in the sending unit so it doesnt come straight up like most cars

at first i thought it wouldnt so i spent the time pulling the axle to find out i wasted 2 fcking days man was i pissed

Quick Reply: Serious Problem..